The Avid Embroiderer Presents - The Freebie is just for YOU!

Some ideas stand the test of time. These are tips that make your day-to-day and embroidery a little easier.  Originally written in February 2016, over 500 readers have taken the time to, perhaps, copy and save these tricks that will allow us to work smarter, not harder. There are 10 ideas, many of which I created and did not see on the Net. 

Green indicates tips and tricks specifically for embroidery.

Learning embroidery is a tricky craft. There are many issues that have to be learned by hands-on practice. That may sound like a time-consuming chore but, well, it is. The price for not practicing and learning is ruined, second rate, and undesirable projects. Just when I personally want to show off my work, you can bet The Rule of Murphy will prevail. It's a very positive rule, saying that if something can go wrong, it will. If it can't go wrong, it's going to go wrong anyway. 

Here is another trick for your arsenal to baste a design and avoid puckering. Here are the preeminent methods you might use. It has been created using the Freebie included in this Blog:
  • Create a standard basting stitch, usually done in a circle or square, around the design. 
  • Create an alignment basting stitch following the outline of the design. 
  • Create a basting stitch inside/under the design. This one would be useful for tricky fabrics and/or designs. You could use it on vinyl fabric where basting would leave holes. It would be done by drawing the outline of your design on paper. Then place it where your embroidery will be set including the fabric & stabilizer. With a standard machine or hand baste, sew your paper inside the line with fabric & stabilizer. Remove the top paper and your fabric is secure.
  • As you do your 'discovery sew', where you use the same or similar fabric, needles, and thread, to discover any hidden issues that may be lurking. 
  • Use a stabilizer a little heavier or stronger (not tearable or soluble stabilizer) under your project. IMHO, it is difficult to over-stabilize, you can always remove the excess, but under-stabilizing will damage your project in various ways, one being puckering. 
If you have not yet had a project slip or fall out of the hoop, you will. That sounds like a threat, but it is a promise! Check this blog that I wrote in September 2012. You will want to save, print, or copy it for future reference, it is well worth your time. https://bit.ly/oop2-freebie 

Thank you each and every one of you. When I get frustrated, the best thing for me to do is talk with a friend. Thank you for being here for me. Making beautiful things by and for beautiful people.