Multiple Hooping Recipe Towels

Tea towel recipe designs are on sale, but if you don't have a large hoop, don't worry. I'll show you how to hoop multiple design files with your 4x4 (100x100) hoop.

I used straight pins in this tutorial but thumb tacks work much better. Marjorie Busby has a wonderful video tutorial on multi-hoop placement for applique and her technique can be adapted for aligning multiple design crosshairs.

The large file looks like this:

Split up for the 4x4 hoop, there are five different files for the blueberry muffin towel:

Individually, they look like this:

So, how do you put them together?

Start by printing and cutting out a template for each of the files, A through E. Be sure to include the crosshairs. They are essential to placement.

Tape the templates together to create the entire design.

Transfer the crosshair marks to the front of the towel using a wash-away pen. Because of so much line overlap, I marked each design letter next to their respective center crosshairs. Hoop a water-soluble stabilizer.

Mark hoop guides on the stabilizer.

Using a flat-head pin, press the pin up through the back of the stabilizer in the center. Place the pin up through the intersection of design A's crosshair. Use the other lines you drew on the hooped stabilizer as secondary guides. Press a pin through a right and left hoop line and match them up with the right and left crosshair lines on the towel.

When you have everything lined up, pin the towel to the hooped stabilizer being careful to keep the pins out of the stitch area. Stitch your first design.

Unhoop, trim excess stabilizer, and hoop WSS for the next design. Do the same for the rest of the designs, lining each up with their centering crosshair.

If the needle doesn't center on the crosshair when you start the next design, use the positioning settings on your embroidery machine to move the needle where it should be.

When everything is done, clip threads, soak away stabilizer and markings, and press!

You will notice my sample is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Here are some tips:

• Try stitching on an old towel or similar fabric as practice.
  • Use a thumb tack. It will be easier to handle and stay straight which will help alignment (see the link to Marjorie's video tutorial above).
  • Use a flat nap towel like these. Mine was very textured and made precision more difficult to obtain.
  • Stop the machine and clip threads between words and lines. If not, you will have one giant mess.
  • Don't panic if the needle position doesn't look right. Some of the words stitch backwards, so it's hard to tell if you are where you should be.
  • Practice makes perfect!

Debbie SewBlest