FREE: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote on Sky Drive and Catalog Xpress Tip #6 Multiple Sorting

It seems like it was very recent when we were learning computers, the Internet and cell phones.  I am on my sixth computer and I cannot remember how many cell phones I have had.  Change is inevitable; stand still and you will be run over.  Sky Drive, a program by Microsoft, is one o... [More]

Fancy Jumbles Diaper Changing Pad

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alphabets canbe found on my Stock Design Page.  My designs are also available in packs, as described inthis blog.  Those can be found here.  For designs and packs available in multiple size... [More]

Keeping It Simple Embroidered Magnet Mania

Kids love to display their art on the fridge.  Adults too seem to stick up lists, reminders and notices where they can be easily accessed..  So, many marketers send information to us printed on these soft magnets in hopes that we will put them in this often viewed place in our homes.  ... [More]

Freebies, Dead Links and a Puzzle, and Catalog Xpress Tip #5, Recoloring and Backgrounds

If you have been online more than 1 week, you probably have a lot of "Favorites" or "Bookmarks" that you have accumulated.  I am a collector of links.  If I think I may be interested in something, but don't have the time at the moment and I create a Favorite. Beca... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Big Kid Hooded Towels

The girls are growing fast.  They love their baby towels with the hoods but are outgrowing them now.  When they complained about being cold after their bath the other night mom and I decided to make them larger "big girl" hooded towels for Christmas.  Then we remembered that... [More]

Free Artwork Software and Catalog Xpress, Tip #4, Conversions.

Drawing and designing is usually limited to those who have talent, I am not included in that group.  However, I did find a method of creating interesting designs that is fun and amusing for me.  I hope you like it too. Livebrush, is a fun way to create some interesting effects.  If y... [More]

Summer is super busy with African Folklore Embroidery

It was such an honor being invited by the South African consulate to exhibit my art-quilt, BEADED AFRICAN VILLAGE, for the hosting of the final game of the world cup soccer.  I got to meet and spent time with the delightful Vice Consul general as well as other African consulate members who were... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Sewing for Sunday

It has been a busy couple of weeks.  Our youngest has a baby girl now overdue.  But for several weeks she was put on bed rest - mostly due to extreme swelling.  So the rest of the family shared taking care of the other two (five years and two years old).  We kept them at our hous... [More]

Free Taskbar Calendar and Catalog Xpress Tip #3, Resize

This is absolutely my favorite computer clock and it includes a calendar!!!  I am not happy with a calendar that is on my desktop because it seems like it is always in the way.  In the Taskbar (lower right hand corner of most screens) is perfect because it shows me the day of the week, dat... [More]

Wedding Handkerchiefs - Stitch Out and Touch Someone

It's summer and wedding season is in full swing! I still get lots of requests to make keepsake wedding handkerchiefs. These are very personal and are the very best gift for the bride or groom to give to the special people in their life on the special day. Many people like to give them at th... [More]

South Africa, soccer, art and culture.... African Folklore Embroidery Exhibition and Competitions

In the next few weeks’ world attention will be focused on South Africa as a million visitors arrive for the FIFA 2010 world cup soccer. Not since the release of Nelson Mandela in February 1990 has so much attention been given to this country of forty-eight million people at the southern tip of... [More]

Keeping It Simple- Lampshade Makeovers

Our oldest grandaughter is getting a new room.  This has been in process for some time since her parents are updating their house at the same time.  So new trim, new doors and flooring were needed as well as paint and décor.  Papa will paint the trim next week end and... [More]

Hanging Zipper Caddy

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alph [More]

Great Photography and Catalog Xpress Tip #2, Search

If you enjoy good photography as much as I do, you will love this freebie.  National Geographic is one of the most outstanding photographic presenters of the world and I believe it will remain so for eternity.  Others may come and go, but some things are enduring.  Check this ... [More]

The Ultimate Baby Basket

Hello Fellow Embroidery Lovers!I am so excited to be writing my first blog entry at an Institution among us long-time embroiderers – annthegran. I have known Ann for many years and I can tell you that she is the real deal – what a treasure she has been to all of us who love embroidery a... [More]

Brother wins another award for innovative product design!

Dear Friends, It surely has been a long time since I have blogged but I did want to share the story of this very prestigious award that Brother has recently received....in the name of a wonderful sewing machine and it's very innovative features.... BROTHER INDUSTRIES, LTD. RECEIVES INTERN... [More]

LaRueSews-Quilts-All Wrapped up

LaRueSews-All Wrapped up Writing this BLOG for Ann the Gran.com has been one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had.  It has taught me that I can expand myself and my knowledge far beyond the things I have done before.  I have learned that I am indeed a writer, if given a t... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Barrette and Band Holders

Girly Girls! They love to primp at even the youngest ages.  Our five year old granddaughter loves makeup, jewelry, nail polish and curly hair.  Of course she has the straightest hair imaginable and no matter how much of that holding gel you use the curls never last more than ten minut... [More]

An African Bird Safari

Any one up for a Bird Safari... introducing the SANUFU BIRD,Roosters and chickens... Bring your binoculars.... South Africa has a large and varied bird population. Over 3 000 birds (and small animals) of 400 different species are uniquely presented in more than 100 spacious landscaped walk t... [More]

Puzzles and Catalog Xpress Tip #1, Notes

I recently read somewhere that in order to keep our brain fresh and vibrant, it is important to exercise it the same way that we exercise our body.  That exercise includes doing the embroidery we all love, but it can also include games, puzzles, as well as the everyday issues we face.  Tod... [More]

Don’t Be Afraid of Pillows! *Beautiful Hemstitched Boudoir Shams*

Greetings to all! In my travels I get to visit with customers who love to sew and embroider as much as I do.  I try hard to listen to what people are wanting and asking for, and what they need help with most.  I'm always surprised at how many experienced embroiderers are afraid to sti... [More]
AnnTheGran.com | Beautiful people make beautiful things

Stand Back! by Eileen Roche

Stand Back refers to keeping your fabric from falling into the sewing field!  And we do that wi [More]

Favorite Hooping Tips

by Designs in Machine Embroidery on January 10, 2022Our favorite hooping tips begin with u [More]

All About Applique Part 2

All About Applique Part 2by Designs in Machine Embroidery on January 25, 2022In our second [More]

All About Applique Part 1

In All About Applique part 1, we will discuss using Exquisite FuseMe Fusible Web on our ap [More]

Holiday Stitching Gameplan

It is that time of the year when we need to have a Holiday Stitching Gameplan!  We will break d [More]
Learning as a lifelong adventure-Summer Time Tip

Learning as a lifelong adventure-Summer Time Tip

When I hear kids say "just 2 more months of school" or "just one more year of school" I laugh to myself because I know a lot better.  You all know what I mean, learning is not 9 months a year (antiquated as that is) or just a few years, learning is a lifelong journey of discovery and - if you are open to it - an awesome journey.  When I taught Microsoft Software, I often told my adult students that if they were not in this class, or one like it, they were not just standing still, they would be losing ground. 

That is enough about structured education.  My point today is that not only is learning a lifelong journey, it is also everywhere around us.  Most people understand learning from a well educated and knowledgeable people.  BUT, have you considered the opposite of that coin, learning from a less educated or less successful people/projects/ideas around us?

How do we know who is the knowledgeable versus the one who you believe to be all knowing?  How do we discern the difference between a real leader and a "I believe I am a" leader?

My point here is knowledgeable people can be wrong from time to time.  Conversely, someone who is lacking in formal education or knowledge can have a totally brilliant moment, day or life.

I have wanted to learn to digitize for a long time.  I see digitizing as a creative form of art that has many facets to it.  Once a site puts a vendor's design on their sales page, that site owner is saying that they believe in the vendor's ability to create a perfect design every time.  While that may be a little naive, it is a must for doing business.  That is one of the reasons that sellers must have some sort of return policy. 

In the case of the design I am highlighting today, the vendor is a very well known site for designs.  They have quality, interesting designs and a very good client base.  So, this issue that I am discussing will remain anonymous because, they normally have much deserved reputation and they are allowed to be wrong once in a while. 

I really love this design and on my sales site, it is VERY popular.  Therefore, I have done it probably 20 or more times.  When you have done a design that many times, you really get to know each stitch.  Furthermore, this has over 50,000 stitches, it is not a quick one to complete.  It has 12 color changes as well.  It is also 'cast iron' to sew. 

My Embird software allows the viewing of the stitches in a density format.  This is a little section showing 'normal' density.  In this case, I say normal loosely.  In some cases, you will want the density to be light.  An example would be if you want some of the background to show through.  A more dense example might be if you are trying for a more three dimensional look.

The focus is naturally blurry to show the areas as they blend together.  Incidentally, the dots of orange are the very dense areas.

Here is the photo of the density map of the design. 

There is one point of red, extremely dense and the lines are all orange, very dense.  The remaining stitches have a small smattering of green, normal, in them. 

I have already reduced the density and removed any small stitches that were less than .7 mm.  This is the after picture.  I always hear my machine pounding in the stitches.

Part of the problem is that few openings are left for the next layer of detail. 

Believe me, the design is beautiful and very detailed.  But I use a fresh needle at the beginning and around the midpoint (26K stitches), I put in a new one. Breaking needles is dangerous.

Another issue is the jump stitches.  I have asked digitizers about this issue and they all say that short jumps tend to pucker the design, so they may opt to make a jump go in a different direction to prevent the squeeze from creating a divot or poof. 

The grid in the background is 1" square.  The jumps crisscross and this particular thread is the last one of the design.  So these jumps are not under all the design, they are on top.

I can vouch for small jumps being tight.  In my hankies, between words there are jump stitches.  Each time I cut those jumps, I can actually feel the release of the pull.

Lastly, I have been using 4 layers of heavy duty cut-away AnnTheGran Stabilizer and still get the puckering on the sides of the design. BTW, I only use 60 weight thread on this design.

While you cannot see these sorts of issues before you buy a design, it is always a good idea to check out their 'freebies' so that you can check their work.  Don't forget to test that design and take a good look at it.

Learning to spot a bit of trouble before you purchase it can help save your sanity.  It is part of the learning curve of embroidery.

Nothing says Summer more than watermelon (unless it is corn on the cob and barbecued chicken).  Here is a fun trick to make watermelon cubes!

First, quarter your melon. Then, make slices straight down the melon.

Next, slice at desired spacing from right to left.

Turn your watermelon to the opposite side and do the same cut as above.  Your cubes will start to fall out of the melon.

Cut the cubes away from the rind and enjoy.  This will work for cantaloupe, zucchini, tomatoes and other soft fruits or vegetables.  Toss them all into a great salad and you have a HIT!

I always love Audrey Hepburn - Katherine as well.

Comments (5) -

Pat,  I do designs with over 60,000 stitches and 20 or more color changes and I use only 1 layer of nylon mesh cutaway and float 1 piece of medium weight tearaway and never, never and any puckering.  Also I never hoop anything but the stabilizer.  Try it and let me know what happened.

Marsuz - I took your advise and guess what????  It worked.

The reason that I was hooping was because I was concerned about the registration going out the window with so many stitches.

This is an interesting (sorta) contradiction.  It would seem to be a good idea to keep this nailed down, yet floating actually does a better job.

It is these types of exchanges of ideas that make this site a great place to visit.  

BTW, I did not put all of the jumps that have to be removed and are crisscrossing the design.  Of course, we all have to deal with jumps, but this design is a barrage of jumps that are more than 5 to 7cm (about 2 to 3").  

I am hoping that someone can give me a logical reason that some jumps must form an "M".

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

That last sentence should say "form an "X".

I would like to hear more from Marsuz regarding her techniques.

Pattiann, I have asked Marsuz multiple times to just put together a little of her thoughts.  Give her an email to see if you can convince her!