Keeping It Simple – Narrow Holiday Runner

Do you have unfinished projects from past years?  I do.  I am always inspired at the beginning of the holidays and have lots of ideas.  Then it seems the season always gets hectic and some of the things I start just do not get finished.  So, this year I decided to finish those it... [More]

I've Got You Covered

Have you ever wanted to cover a ring binder or album?  As an example, here is a 3-ringbinder that I covered to use as a photo album.  (Keep reading for more information aboutpages for the binder.)     When I open the binder, you can see how neat... [More]

If You Really Want to Know . . .

I asked you all to let me know what you’d like me to tell you. Haven’t heard from anyone except Pat, so I’ll answer her questions. Maybe that will help you think of some more things you’d like me to write about. Pat asked: I would LOVE to know what types of embroidery do you... [More]

Quilting with Embroidery

My eldest favorite daughter (I also have a youngest favorite daughter) decided she wanted to make a rag quilt. They are shabby chic, typically created with muted colors, fringed all around and stitched with ragged edges showing on one side. The more they are washed, the more comfortable they become.... [More]

Napkin Ring Project For This Holiday Season

We have some great ideas on how to accessorize your holiday table with embroidery. One way is to create your very own decorative napkin rings. They are quick and easy and will take no time at all to finish. Then you can also embroider wonderful placemats, napkins, table cloths, towels, curtains, etc... [More]

Adding Sparkle to Embroidery

In the words of the late Andy Williams, "It's the most wonderful time of the year," and it's never been easier to add sparkle to embroidery designs than with hot-fix crystals. Christmas embroidery begs for embellishment. Crystals are easy to apply with a heat tool like the DalWan... [More]

Monogrammed Napkins Tutorial

Monogram a napkin for every guest at your next dinner party. It’s the perfect way to personalize a seat and makes a great party favor. MonogramIt! from Amazing Designs has numerous fonts to choose from so you can customize every napkin to match each guest’s style... [More]

What’s with Lower Case Monograms?

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog: You see it everywhere today – lower case monograms catch your eye and make you wonder if it really is a ... [More]

What’s in a name?

If you remember from my last blog post, the AnnTheGran web site got its name from my AOL sign-in. I promised to tell you the story of how annthegran became my AOL sign-in. Like most stories like this it’s pretty simple and fairly silly. The year was 1994. My daughter, son-in-law and three ... [More]

AlphaTricks Tricks!

All we can say is “WOW!” We have been completely overwhelmed with everyone’s  enthusiastic response to the announcement and release of AlphaTricks! As we’ve worked with users, we’ve uncovered some common questions, as well as tips that it seems everyone would like... [More]

Keeping It Simple - Bricks and Banners

It's here again.  Already!  Halloween, apple picking, pinecones and colored leaves.  The season's fly by so quickly I can hardly keep up.  We took a trip out to the Old Town main street the other day to pick up our fall and winter spices.  It is an all cobblestone st... [More]

Learn Basic Applique

Applique has become one of my favorite techniques in machine embroidery. Designs are now so inclusive, that even the least experienced among us can easily create beautiful applique their first time out. I created a Basic Applique video showing just how easy it is using the Applique Quilting Hearts ... [More]

Tall and Skinny

What's "Tall and Skinny"?  It's the name of my new embroidery alphabet [More]

Hello All I'm Back

Last night I was watching the Million Second Quiz on television. One of the questions, which the contestant missed by the way, was which one of several brands was not named for an actual person. The answer was Betty Crocker. That got me to wondering if AnnTheGran had been one of the choices, how man... [More]

Get Variegated!

Much like pigments of the master painters, threads create pallettes for machine embro [More]

Polka-dots, Stipple Blocks and Creativity, Oh my! Part 2

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog :  If you missed Part 1, click here. I was making excellent progress this afternoon—stitching block... [More]

New Site Features

Hi All, I hope you all had a nice summer  and are perhaps looking forward to the slightly colder months. This is my favorite time of the year, not so hot and not so cold. The last time I blogged there were a few complaints about the new site, so this time round I thought that I'... [More]

Design Organizing Basics

With so many embroidery designs available digitally, and countless free designs offered online, it helps to have a plan when it comes to organizing them all. The task can seem daunting, but getting started is really the hardest part.  Make a Structure Remember when you had to create a... [More]

Please Tie Me

I have added a third design for the Please Tie Me page of my baby activitybook.  Someone emailed to ask whether it would be okay for her to stitcheyelets instead of setting metal eyelets in the shoe quarter.  I thought it wouldbe easier to embroider the eyelets as ... [More]
Keeping It Simple - Quick and Easy Pool Tote

Keeping It Simple - Quick and Easy Pool Tote

Wow, the pool opens this Saturday and the kids can hardly wait.  We had a couple of rainy days last week so we decided that it was time to sew.  This project was a hit and our granddaughter can hardly wait to have a couple of friends over to make them as a group.  It really did turn out to be the perfect project for young girls to practice a few basic sewing and embroidery skills.  Here is the bag we made:

Here is what you need:

One hand towel (washed and dried)

Two pieces of 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon each 22" long

Two 4" squares of cotton fabric

Double Heart appliqué embroidery design (download here)

Trans-Web iron on fusible

Lapel Stick temporary adhesive

appliqué snips

Soft cut-away stabilizer

wash away mesh stabilizer (optional)

Here is what you do:

1.  Adhere the Trans-Web to the back of the two fabric squares per the package instructions.

2.  Print a template and pin or mark the center of where you want the design on the top half of the right side of the towel. (You can print templates from a variety of software programs including Catalog Xpress,  Alphabet Xpress, and Size It)

3.  Hoop the soft cut-away in a 5"X7" hoop. Using the lapel stick or temporary adhesive of choice adhere the towel to the stabilizer centering the template. 

4.  Embroider the first run of the first heart.  Carefully remove the hoop and lay flat.  Using the Lapel Stick adhere one fabric square over the stitches.  Embroider the second run.  Carefully remove the hoop, lay flat and trim just outside the stitching using the appliqué snips.

5. Carefully slide the hoop back onto the machine and embroider the first run of the second heart. Carefully remove the hoop and lay flat.  Using the Lapel Stick adhere the other fabric square over the stitches.  Embroider the next run.  Carefully remove the hoop, lay flat and trim just outside the stitching using the appliqué snips.

6. Carefully slide the hoop back onto the machine.  Embroider the last two thread colors.  Remove from the hoop and cut away excess stabilizer. 

7.  Lay towel face down on the table measure in 3 1/2".  Fold the end of one ribbon under and pin in place.  Sew a rectangle to secure.  Repeat 3 1/2" from the other side with the other end of the ribbon strip.  Repeat at the other end of the towel.

8.  With right sides together fold the towel so that the handles are at the top.  Using a zig zag stitch sew down both sides. 

Turn right side out and enjoy your new beach bag.

Now you are ready to spend the afternoon at the pool.

There are la number of bag and tote options to choose from.  Here are a few you may like:

Designer Wet Bags 

Easy Snack Bags

Quick Wristlets

Big Big tote

Simple Placemat Tote

Water Bottle Bags

Grocery Bags

Take care,

DB