Holiday Travel, Needles & African Folklore Embroidery

I used to be a really nervous flyer, every bump, thump, or noise would startle me. Reading just would not relax me and chatting to the passenger next to me would not succeed in calming me.

Things began changing for me once I started bringing my African Folklore Embroidery kit on board the airplane. The kit includes the design (pre-drawn on black fabric), needle and African threads. There are many items you are not allowed to bring on an airplane, in fact the list sometimes seems endless, but needles for sewing are ALLOWED. The minute I know I am going on to a trip to lecture or teach in another city or state, i decide which project i am going to work on.

I just returned this weekend from a trip to New York and almost completed the entire poppy flower design on the flight from JFK to Los Angeles. My trip to Minnesota a few months ago allowed me to complete the elephant kettle design and I am already planning what I am going to stitch on my flight to Phoenix, AZ in December where i will be teaching three days of classes at Bernina Connection, including a special class for children, called teaching the next generation to stitch through African Folklore Embroidery.

Given the holiday season coming up and that many people travel, whether by plane, train or road to visit family and friends, this is the perfect time to get started on one of our beautiful African Folklore Embroidery designs. With this in mind we are offering FREE SHIPPING  on all order from now till November 30th.

It is amazing, how many people do not know that you are allowed to bring needles on an airplane. This allows me (guilt free) time to pursue one of my favorite pleasures and has even resulted in me looking forward to my flying time. 

Remember there is still time to enter your completed  African Folklore Embroidery design in a special exhibition at the Road to California Quilt show, Ontario, CA , Jan 14-17th, 2010. Entry forms are online and we are offering cash prizes for first, second and third place. There is also a separate children's category.  You can find the entry form here.

Comments (2) -

thecomputerist 11/14/2009 1:48:17 PM

Thanks for that valuable information about traveling with needles.  I love the fact that somethings are considered to be a wonderful and simple pasttime for us!

If you are traveling, please see my latest blog, it gives you information on finding a good seat on the airline you travel.  

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat

Fantastic to know you can stitch on flights . Wish I'd known this a month ago tho. when i had a 7 hour flight to Saudi . First I'd ever made on my own. Next time won't be so bad with my trusty needle in my hand . It always takes my mind off my worries.  Maldon mum