Choosing Thread Colors Made Easy

Do you stress over not having the exact thread brand or color that a design calls for? Digitizers utilize their own favorite thread lines when creating designs. It would be impossible to have all of the thread colors and brands on hand.

I have never followed exact thread color requirements and I will share just how easy it is to choose from your own thread stash.

While you can use thread conversion software to find equivalents across other manufacturers, it can be much easier. We will use Jacobean Butterfly from Starbird, Inc., as an example.

Stitching sequences show all colors and repeats.

The unique color diagram shows individual colors used in the piece, making It easier to view just the color values. Think in terms of bright, light, medium, and dark.

For this design, you need:

• Light orange and orange
  • Bright blue and light blue
  • Medium green, pale green, and dark green
  • Reddish brown, dark brown, and light brown

It is advisable to stay within thread types. In other words, if you are using cottons, stick with cottons. Likewise with metallics. For the most part, rayons and polyesters can be used together without a noticeable difference.

Of course, you can change up colors any way that you like. By looking at color values rather than names or numbers, it is easy to substitute what you have on hand.

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (2) -

Great idea. Thinking of values rather than those numbers makes sense. It simplifies your choices, makes it easier to visually select from your stash, and decreased your costs from buying colors you may never use again.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

I'm new to Machine embroidery and have amassed a collection of machine embroidery thread.  I've been looking for a comprehensive thread color conversion chart or reference so I don't go buy something I already have!  I have found charts converting Brother-Madeira-Sulky-RA-Megasheen-Isacord, and Simthread-Madeira-RA.  My threads are Isacord, Simthread, Exquisite, and Gutterman (so far).  Any recommendations on a good, comprehensive resource other than looking at a lot of charts and typing up something myself as a cross-reference?