Tips and Tricks, A Place for Everything

With all there is to know about embroidery and with all the gadgets to help you, why do we still need tips?  Well, my dear reader, there is too much to learn!!!

I have come to the conclusion that I don't have time to make every mistake or take the time to figure out everything.  I think experts are the ones who have the time to learn and/or or the money to get help - written or human.  An expert eats, sleeps and drinks their field of choice. 

OK, if you actually have a life, being an expert may not fit in your routine.  So, to that end, I am making a couple of tips available to you.

First of all, remember that everyone says "Your problem will be solved with our product."  That is Advertising 101, find a need and fill it.  Albeit, they may be deluding you just a little, but some are really great.  For instance, when I began embroidery, I tried to put some names on a golf style shirt and they were a disaster.  Having good tools to determine the correct placement would have saved me a lot of frustration not to mention money.

I personally use and appreciate my Perfect Placement Kit (I have nearly worn out the templates).

I am looking forward to working with the T-Shirt Makeover because my last attempt was not exactly what I had in mind.

Lastly, here are some of the placement suggestions I have gathered over time:

• Apron
  • 2"-4" down from top edge
  • Bath Towel
  • 3"-4" above hem, centered
  • Beach Towel
  • 4"-6" above bottom, centered
  • Bib
  • Centered
  • Blanket
  • 4"-6" from down or up from 90 degree angle
  • Hand Towel
  • 2"3" above hem, centered
  • Hankie
  • 1"-1-1/2" down from 90 degree angle
  • Jacket Back
  • 8"-10" down from bottom of collar
  • Jacket Left
  • 6"-8" down from center of shoulder seam and 1/2 of design 1***
  • Napkins
  • 2" up from 90 degree angle
  • Pajama Shirt
  • 3"-4" down from left shoulder seam centered between placket and side seam or 3"-5" from center
  • Pajama Pant
  • 1"-2" up from bottom edge
  • Pillow Case
  • Centered both ways on cuff
  • Placemat
  • 1"-2" from 90 degree angle, use 1 (top right), 2 (diagonal or bottom edges)  or 4 corners.
  • Polo/T-Shirt
  • 7"-9" down from left shoulder seam centered between placket and side seam or 3"-5" from center
  • Pockets
  • 1/2" down from top centered between side seams
  • Oxford Shirt, Man's
  • 7"-9" down from left shoulder seam centered between placket and side seam or 3"-5" from center
  • Oxford Shirt, Woman's
  • 4"-6" down from left shoulder seam centered between placket and side seam or 3"-5" from center
  • Robe
  • 4"-6" down from shoulder seam centered between sleeve edge and collar fold
  • Scarf, Large
  • 4"-6" from each corner edge
  • Scarf, Small
  • 1-1/2"-2" from each corner edge
  • Sheet
  • Center on band
  • Shirt Back
  • 5" from bottom of collar, for smaller sizes, 3" and center between left and right seams
  • Shirt Cuff
  • 1-3/8" from button hole 1/4" above top stitching at edge of cuff
  • Shirt Front
  • Center a mini design between button holes, or button shirt and 3/4"-1" away from that center, lay a vertical design
  • Sweatshirt
  • 3"-5" down from neck seam
  • Sweatshirt, collar
  • Center on collar, 2/3 from center of front neck
  • Sweatshirt, hood
  • 1-1/2" from front edge and 2/3 down side
  • Table Cloth
  • 3"-5" up from corner edge
  • Tie
  • 2" up from bottom tip
  • Top (shirt, blouse, sweater, etc.)
  • 1" up from bottom edge, anywhere on article.
  • Tote Bag
  • 3"-5" down from top edge and centered.
  • Turtleneck
  • Middle of neck cuff, center between middle of cuff and left shoulder seam
  • Wash Cloth
  • 1" up from bottom, centered or 1" above 90 degree corner

Have fun, I love to place small designs in unexpected places and don't forget some bling while you are doing your project.  How about right on top of the shoulder or on the hip area of your jeans? Where would you put an unexpected design?

Comments (3) -

This was a great help! Thanks. I have spent so much time trying to find the right placement and have messed up so many garments, that I will use this daily.

So nice to get valuable tips and realize that we are never to old to learn.

Thanks 35tell3 - (What an interesting name!)

Information is available all over the Internet, but when you need something specific, that is not the best time to search for it.

I too have had unsuccessful projects (they were not ruined, they were just an opportunity to learn) that I had to put this together.

These guidelines are for giving you a starting point.  Don't forget that a onezie and a 4XXX man's shirt will vary. . . . .

Pat

aprexembdesigns 6/25/2012 10:23:32 AM

Great guide!!! I have been doing embroidery for years and I still need to look up placements!  I will be using this for sure.  Thank you!