It All Comes Down to Color

Color plays such an important role in our lives from what we wear to the vehicles we drive. As embroiderers, we have artistic license to experiment with color. The possibilities are virtually endless when you mix fabric and thread combinations.

I'm using the same design in several different ways, varying the background fabrics and embroidery thread colors. Change it a little or change it a lot, you can see the striking effects that can be achieved simply by changing color.

Tone on Tone

Heirloom items were typically embroidered using white on white or ivory on ivory. It puts off a subtle, elegant feel with very little contrast. Nearly always a safe bet, even with variegated thread.

Subtle Contrast

Vary the hue of thread vs. fabric, and the details begin to stand out.

Variegated thread is another way to alter the appearance of a design in a minimal, but interesting, way. Variegations transition in different ways depending upon the manufacturer. Changes shift in as little as fractions of an inch up to several inches. The image on the left is a solid pink while the one on the right is a variegated pink.

High Contrast

It's safe to combine like colors, but try stepping out and using bold colors for a change. Vary the background fabric and they look are completely different. The blue background fabric pulls more of the blue from the variegated thread while orchid pulls the purples.

The freestanding lace techniques used here were discussed in another blog.

Don't be afraid to experiment with color, especially with spring (hopefully) around the corner! Let me know what you come up with.

Debbie (SewBlest)

Comments (5) -

I like how you showed your ideas as they will appear.  That makes a lot of sense.  

I did a color blog, from a different angle, www.annthegran.com/.../...t-excel-may-29-2009.aspx">www.annthegran.com/.../...t-excel-may-29-2009.aspx  

I love learning about colors and how they work, create emotion, give feeling and meaning.  

Your blog is really great!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

Your pictures are so helpful , as a newbie the experience yourself and others share here is very appreciated.

Thanks, Nanrnan. I'd appreciate knowing what kinds of things you (and all ATG readers) would like to see in my blog as a newbie. I want to be sure and write about things that are helpful!

This is my 1st blog, enjoy all the info. I am having a problem, embroidering on dark blue towels but can't come up with what to mark my towel, I have pink, purple , markers that disappear , and have a water soluble white pencil, but nothing works. I would so love to hear from you seasoned embroiderers.

Love this site.

This is my 1st blog, enjoy all the info. I am having a problem, embroidering on dark blue towels but can't come up with what to mark my towel, I have pink, purple , markers that disappear , and have a water soluble white pencil, but nothing works. I would so love to hear from you seasoned embroiderers.

Love this site.