The One Tool You Need for Successful Machine Embroidery

If I had this tool from the beginning, the success rate of my machine embroidery projects would have been the envy of many. You can’t order it online and it doesn’t cost a thing. Patience, it's a virtue.

Recently, after a bit of a hiatus, I was working on an applique embroidery design using GlitterFlex heat transfer vinyl that was giving me fits. First, I had a bird’s nest under the hoop. Usually, that means that there is a problem with the upper threading.

I rethreaded the machine and started over. The same thing happened. So I then rethreaded and cleaned out the bobbin area. No improvement.

Next, I changed the needle. Then the thread was shredding. I went to a larger needle and my machine stitched beautifully. That is, until I realized I had stitched an area in the wrong color.

There would have been a day when I would have chucked everything into a corner and started over, probably at a much later date. That can get expensive and is a waste of time and materials.

Patience is practiced, not provided.

Instead of pitching the project, I tore out the stitching and started again. The applique turned out just fine and nobody would ever realize the challenges it gave me.

Sometimes, it is beneficial to even walk away from a project that is not cooperating. At any rate, just relax, do whatever it takes. Pour a drink, take a bath, go to bed. Then, start over. This is supposed to be fun!

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (1) -

I know that feeling; for a VERY long time, I had trouble with thread shedding. I won't bore you with details, but it was a problem for 10 years. That is NO exaggeration.
One day, after changing my needle, I used my cell phone to video as the sewing worked through my project. After careful review, I could see the needle moving just slightly.
After tightening the needle, the shred stopped immediately. That slight movement met the criteria I had (probably two dozen) issues with the overall problem.
Just for a couple of examples:
1. When it came back from service, no problem.
2. When I changed the needle, sometimes it worked, and sometimes not so much.
3. I tightened the screw to hold the needle by hand. I didn't have enough strength to get it snug enough. I started using the tool to set the needle, & no further problems!
The armature moves your project, the needle must be perfectly still.
Pat, The Avid Embroiderer