The Avid Embroiderer Presents - What is DST and Why Do I Care? This Freebie

I have often heard (and wondered myself) why doesn't this expensive machine communicate and give me the correct colors directly? It seems reasonable to me . . .

Actually, the file structure that a DST, PES, etc., format cannot support color change codes. You can manually insert colors, but that is iffy at best. 

The issue with DST, PES, EXP, JEF, and other files is just that they are limited and simply unable to store vectors or things like artwork. 

You may have heard the term "native files" which can contain features allowing different patterns like lettering, shapes and fills. Native files are the software base for your formats that your machine can read. Native files do things like resizing files effectively.

Formats such as DST, JEF, etc., often warn that resizing, larger or smaller, over 20% is not in keeping with successful outcomes.  For instance, a two-inch patch increased to a ten inches design, will likely turn out badly. 

That is why a digitizer will ask you a number of questions like what size and fabric will the project be placed upon. That "native file" adjusts very easily and a significant change in size is not a problem. The fabric has a part in how much weight and other things will sew out. For instance, a large and highly stitch count won't work well on chiffon or nylon. Heavy stitching works better on denim and canvas types of materials. 

I remember early in my embroidery career adjusting a design upwardly perhaps 25% and then rescaling it downwardly about 15%. That seemed like a simple way to get the pattern where I wanted it. As I began sewing, the sew-out was strange to say the least. Areas were missing and some skipped stitches in odd places. 

Data Stitch Tajima (DST) File

The DST file is considered to be a 'universal' format. You may find that along with the user's guide that came with your machine may recommend PES but can use DST as well. The main reason for still using DST is that it’s so universal with almost all commercial embroidery machines. You can almost be 100% certain that any file you get from your digitizer will work on your machine.

I don't know anything about programming, but at least this clears up colors and sizing in embroidery. It is what it is.

For this Freebie, I selected a favorite saying of mine. After all, you want the 'whole gang' with you when you are about to be stupid. . .

I did my discovery sew (verifying needed sizes and features) with 2 sheets of tearaway stabilizer. The circular design tends to slip a very small amount, so stabilizing is really important here. 

Did you see that Madeira Thread, single spool, is shipping free through 4/29/21? This time and money saver is a favorite of mine for its quality, dependability, and problem-free embroidery. There are a total of 18 types of Madeira Threads. There is likely one that will suit your unique project. Check it out. 

Thank you for joining me, with all the infinite changes going on, do try to keep your sanity by embroidering something. You might even want to sew this one up for a 'back to school' gift for a teacher. I can see it on canvas and an inexpensive frame. Instant gift, very small price.