The Avid Embroiderer Presents - Thread gets into everything! - And a Mom's dilemma

If thread is the life blood of embroidery, then messed up thread will be the headache for your whole set up. 

There are some tips for your consideration -
  •  Thread needs to be kept away from - - - the sun, kids, animals, and in some cases, other various adults.
  •   It needs to be fresh. That fantastic 'sale' is likely to be thread that has been around for a long time.
  •  Never (well almost never) use rubber bands, tight wrapping, or paper clips. (Don't do what I have done in my example.)
  • Dropping a spool will have some pressure/dent on the thread that becomes flat. These also are often in 'sale' bins. Flat thread, despite seeming minor, can cause missteps in your machine and/or small flat spots in your design. That may be small, but the 'devil is in the details.'
  • IMHO, I use spray silicone on thread. It will assist in keeping it fresh, drying resistant and smoothly running through your machine. 

The first photo is the silicone I use, click on the photo go find these online. It is 11 ounces and sells for around $8.00. ($0.73 per ounce)

The second photo is specifically for sewing needs (??).  It is 13 ounces and $18.00. ($1.38 per ounce)

The facts are that silicone is silicone. They are all alike. There is no specific weight and, unlike the popular 'oil' spray. Silicone does NOT leave anything behind but a smooth, slick surface. The oil type leaves oil, stains, and collects dust.

Silicone is - 
  • Dry, odorless, colorless, non-staining, and waxless
  • Stops squeaking, sticking, and binding
  • Saves time, protects and preserves equipment 

Getting back to thread, this happened to me late one evening. I got up from my machine, made a 90 degree left turn; went up the stairs which has a 180 degree turn also to the left; entered my bedroom at a 180 degree right angle and slept for the night. When I got up in the AM and discovered that a thread had attached itself to me (I don't know how). It had accompanied me all night without my knowledge. Thread is strong, this was a 40# embroidery spool. Pinkie swear, it happened. 

I have a 'cone' spool of thread that I can no longer identify. I don't know the brand or exact color. I had tried to replace it with other golden colors. I have never been able to find the same luster, hue and beautiful color. This thread is dazzling in person. Here is a peak at a IRL (in real life) thread.

Alas, I managed to drop it and the bottom broke off. Scads of thread unwound immediately. Here is my, almost good, solution. 

First,  don't wait, pick it up immediately and gently. I did not and the unwinding became the monster that ate Brooklyn. I threw away a lot of it before I started working on a solution.

The next thing is to take a firm piece of fabric or paper, and create a faux spindle to hold the loose thread. It needs to be long enough to keep any loops from the spool in place. 

Here is where I ran out of ideas. The left over loops were difficult to keep in alignment. I placed a binder clip to hold them securely. In the above tips, I noted NOT to use something tight. But, I am at a loss as to how to hold those unsecured coils. If someone has a suggestion for holding that spot, please let me know in the Comments below. I will be forever in your debt. 

•  For my last tip, you will want to see this video by Deborah Jones on tying thread on a spool.  It is 1 minute 27 seconds that will help you tame your threads. Tie off video.
Here is the Freebie this time, this is something every Mom knows well. As a wall hanging, pillow or on a kitchen towel, this is one fun thought for the whole family. Every Mom has a super-power, finding the lost, adrift and wandering items of the Universe.

Note: Because the Mom is very dense, I recommend using a adhesive heavy weight cut away stabilizer. It is not suitable for a light weight or loosely woven fabric. 

I am fortunate to be able to come to you with my ideas, tips, tricks and Freebies. My very best wishes to each of you!

Comments (1) -

Thank every one of my readers. I love doing my blog. I actually do about 40+ hours of each but it is a labor of love - and appreciation to YOU ❣

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer