Nifty Notepads: Tips for In-the-Hoop Projects

In-the-Hoop projects are all the rage and so extremely easy to make. I'll give you some tips on making the Nifty Notepads and they will help with other ITH projects too! 

One of the beautiful things about ITH projects is that most all of the sewing is done for you. The embroidery is a bonus. So even if you do not consider yourself good with a sewing machine, you really don't have to be. The program has seams built in to the design.

If you remember this blog on Sew Pretty zippered bags by Pickle Pie Designs, you know that it is the easiest zipper you will ever sew. The Nifty Notebooks don't include a zipper so they are even easier yet. Basically, if you can follow directions, you can make ITH projects.

Part of the ease in making ITH projects is in having good instructions with lots of pictures.

Where it can get confusing, is when there are many pieces to the project, as with this one. Even more challenging is that there are three different sizes of notebooks that you can make. 

Break the Project Into Sections

Often, I do not have the luxury of sitting down and completing a project in one day so I tend to look at projects in segments: gathering materials, preparing/cutting pieces, embroidering/stitching, and assembling the final product. 

One way to keep things less confusing is to have all of your pieces cut before you sit down to stitch. If you have just two or three pieces, it is not bad but if there are six or more, it can get confusing.

Often, I make several of the same item as gifts. It helps to make plastic templates of individual pieces to help in the cutting process. Be sure to mark each one with measurements or another identifier.

Prepare Pieces Before Stitching

AnnTheGran.com | Beautiful people make beautiful things

Press fabrics before cutting. You will have a more accurate cut and better stitching on a fabric without wrinkles.

Once pieces are cut, keep them organized. Pre-cut everything from batting to fabric, stabilizer, and interfacing.  If the item needs interfaced, do that too. I interfaced the denim as it was a stretch blend that could pull out of shape. I also added interfacing to the applique piece. You may also want to add fusible web to applique pieces.

Then add a sticker to mark each piece with the corresponding letter or number of the instructions. It will be easy to grab what you need in the correct sequence without a lot of thought, especially if you are starting and stopping throughout the project.

I absolutely love the pink and black combination of Pickle Pie's notepad, but mine was for the Volume 112 issue of Designs in Machine Embroidery magazine whose theme was denim.

Arranging Thread

A friend of mine, Bonnie Welsh of SewInspiredbyBonnie.com, arranges her thread in the order it is needed for the project. That also helps make your stitching time more efficient.

Bonnie lines up the thread she will need for a certain project according to the stitching sequence. If one space is empty, it is either on the machine or a repeat. That also saves time when sitting down to stitch.

Check back later and I will show you how to choose coordinating threads for projects and how to add ric rac or lace to seams.

How do you organize your projects?

Debbie SewBlest