Applique Tips for Knits

Several things will make a difference when embroidering on knits such as sweatshirts and t-shirts. I [More]
Best Hoop You'll Ever Own

Best Hoop You'll Ever Own

Recently, I have have experienced the pleasure of using a 200 x 260 Snap Hoop Monster and it is fabulous! A flat metal hoop is topped with a magnetic frame for a super snug hold.

There are so many reasons to love this hoop. Here are just a few:

Easy Hooping

No fitting hoops inside each other, no hand pain, no hoop burn, and no magnets to fuss with.

Snug Hold

From quilting through two layers of fabric, batting, and stabilizer, to applique, and embroidering on a piece of water-soluble fabric type stabilizer, they all held tight with no shifting. Better yet, no magnets to wrestle. The only down side is that you may get your fingers pinched. After a little practice, that isn't a problem!

Quilting is a Breeze

Hooping multiple layers of quilting material can be an effort in futility. Not with this hoop! Everything is kept nice and flat with no indentation from traditional hoops. I especially like the quilting results because I don't like my fabric to be pulled tight when quilting - the fabric and batting are not relaxed enough to have any dimension and are rather lifeless if they are pulled taut.

Quilting with a Snap Hoop Monster (SHM) gives results more like hand quilting in the way in which the fabric reacts to the stitches. I can run a basting stitch around my design to help hold the quilt sandwich in place and it doesn't pull to all sides as can happen with traditional hooped quilting.

Multi-Hooping is Effortless

Multi-hoop projects are so much easier because you just separate the magnetic frame and move the fabric where you want it. It is easy to line up basting stitch corners when stitching designs side-to-side (check back for a tutorial on how to do that). I also feel it is easier to manage a flat frame rather than traditional frames that have sides sticking up.

Larger Stitch Area

You can literally stitch almost right up to the edge of the frame giving you more of an embroidery field.

No Need to Float

Not that there is anything wrong with floating, but if the hoop holds fabric flat without damage or bulk, you don't have to float. This is especially useful with hard-to-handle fabrics like bulky towels, velvet, or silk.

I always appreciate hearing from someone who actually used an item before I buy it. These are just a few of the most basic reasons you would love one of these hoops. They come in a variety of sizes and fit most brands of embroidery machines.

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (2) -

scratchgolfer 5/27/2017 11:20:15 AM

I absolutely agree 2000%. I bought one about a month ago and wondered why I had not buy one sooner. It is, without a doubt, the best hoop ever!!  I recently retired and began embroidering more often and I hoop with ease now. I suffer with  "mouse abuse" (too many years of holding a computer mouse) on my thumb all the way down my wrist, and find it difficult to tighten the hoop screw without pain. I highly recommend purchasing this hoop!

Hooping has always been my least favorite part of embroidery.
I think I need the smaller snap hoop too., too, scratchgolfer - Just love it!