Adding Text with Embrilliance

This design is a double applique, and it’s on sale! I’m going to stitch it as a freestanding applique and put it together as a banner/bunting with the name “Blaine” on it. First, I will use Embrilliance Essentials to get the file ready to embroider.

Determining Stitch Sequence

If I open the design in Embrilliance, there are six color stops:

1 Placement – large outside applique

2 Tackdown – large outside applique

3 Satin stitch – large outside applique

4 Placement – small inside applique

5 Tackdown – small inside applique

6 Satin stitch – small inside applique

I am going to create six appliques, one for each letter in the name. Because these appliques are going to be freestanding, the backs will show. I can cover the back of the large outside applique if the satin stitching (green) is done last. You can see from the image that it is actually third.

Changing the Stitch Sequence

Click on the green layer (1:3) and drag it down to the bottom of the stitch sequence. Now, your color stops are:

1 Placement – large outside applique

2 Tackdown – large outside applique

3 Placement – small inside applique

4 Tackdown – small inside applique

5 Satin stitch – small inside applique

6 Satin stitch – large outside applique

Adding the Letters

Click on the large bold A on the toolbar to add text. ABC will show up in your design screen. Make sure you also have the Letters tab selected, which shows font choices.

Click in the text window and type a capital B. Click on the font drop-down button to show all of the installed fonts and choose one. Click the set button and the letter B shows in the design window.

Click on the B in the design window, then click on one of the corners and drag it to size.

Be sure to note the letter’s dimensions (shown in the red circle) so you can make the rest of your letters the same size. Center it within the small inside applique.

Rearranging the Stitch Sequence

You will notice there are now two items in the objects window. One is the applique and the other is the letter B. Click on the first to show all of the color stops.

Remember that I want to add a covering over the back of the applique to hide the back side of the letter B’s stitches. That means that the B has to stitch before the outer edge of the large outside applique (shown in green).

Click on object 2, the B, in the objects window, and drag it up between color stops 1:5 (yellow) and 1:6 (green). You will see that there are now three objects: the applique with stitch sequences 1:1 to 1:5, the letter B, and the green shield, which now shows as 3:1. You will also notice that the color sequence has adjusted accordingly.

Save this file as a stitch and working file and name it “blaine B.”

Creating the Other Letters

The blaine B file remains open. Now all you need to do is change and save each letter for the remaining letters in the name.

Click on the B in the object window. Click on the letters tab and change the B to an L. Click the set button and move the L to the center of the inner applique. Save as a stitch and working file and name it blaine L.

Do the same process for each of the remaining letters of the bunting.

The freestanding applique technique is the same as this blog, with the exception that I use Sulky Heat Away, Fabri Solvy, or AllStitch Stitch-n-Heat stabilizers. That will give beautiful clean edges to the applique.

Check back to see how the final bunting is created!

Debbie SewBlest