Chinoiserie (shēnˌwaz-rēˈ)

This is one of those words that looks familiar but we are never quite sure if we know it or not! How interesting it is - - - a Chinese pattern with a French name. Somehow I miss the connection but I did not miss the beauty in this decor.

chi·noi·se·rie noun

1. A style in art reflecting Chinese influence through use of elaborate decoration and intricate patterns.

2. An object reflecting Chinese artistic influence.

Origin: French, from chinois, Chinese, from Chine, China.

Information courtesy of - (https://www.yourdictionary.com)

We have all seen these sorts of designs in restaurants of fine Chinese dining - - even some of those 'take out' places use this type of mood enhancing atmosphere. Here is one of the more dramatic of the designs available.

These designs are examples.

The Chinese have long done wonderful tapestries which is just an overly rambunctious embroidery with the ability to cover a whole wall!

These delicate and graceful patterns are included in clothes, porcelain and tea among other things. You may remember in the 1980's there was a resurgence of this design. A coat or jacket in this fashion may have had a stand up collar. Frequently these patterns will be done on heavy fabric which is done in a light green color named 'Chinese Green.'

For your reference, here is a listing of the "Year of . . . "

As a last thought on these wonderful designs, make sure that you are using a heavy weight fabric as well as a heavy cut away stabilizer. Not only will the over all project be on the heavy side, it will almost certainly have a heavy stitch count which requires a cut away. I would also recommend that you start with a fresh needle and replace that needle upon completion.

Thank you and best wishes to you and yours, Pat

Comments (2) -

Beautiful Beautiful

Thank you! Thank you!