Fabric Popped out of a Hoop? Re-Align It!

Here is how I recover almost designs that have hopped out of the hoop.

1. Walk away for a moment. Calm down and begin to work on getting it fixed.

2. Find some running stitches that are on a curve or angle. If you don't see any, you may need to remove some stitches covering them. For example, lettering would have running stitches on an angle that are used as underlay or to walk from one part of the letter to another. running stitch single

4. Hoop a piece of self-adhesive stabilizer

5. Using the forward and backward commands on your machine’s control panel, move to the point in the design for the curved or corner running stitches that you have decided to use as your reference point.

6. Place the hoop in the machine. Place the item to be repaired on the self-adhesive stabilizer in a position that you have judged to be closely lined up with the pick-up point. If your machine allows it, lower the needle to ascertain that you are as close as possible.

7. Thread the machine with a color that is very visible against the garment. Don’t be concerned whether it is the proper color for the design at this point. You need to be able to see it clearly.

8. Start the machine and watch closely as the running stitches stitch. Checking to see if the angle of the new stitches matches the angle of the original stitches. It is likely that the stitches are not aligned on the same angle as shown here. 

not aligned

9. Gently lift the item from the stabilizer and reposition it using your best judgment to a new position that will be in better alignment. Back up the machine and stitch the test stitches again.

aligned

10. Repeat until the stitches are on top of the target stitches on your garment. Change to the correct thread color for the design and you are set to complete the entire design.

This method assures that all outlines and other elements from this point will be on track. Even objects that were stitched early in the design will have outlines that match up because you took the necessary steps to assure that the item was repositioned at the precise angle as the original hooping. This is the key to garment recovery.

During the recovery process, the garment is only adhered to stabilizer, rather than being held in a hoop as it originally may have been. For this reason, keep a close eye on the item as the embroidery proceeds. If you notice that the item appears to be puckering or drawing in, slide one or more pieces of light, crisp tearaway stabilizer between the hoop and he machine bed to provide more support.

Check out the best Mother's Day Gift ever at my site, www.myembroiderymentor.com

Comments (9) -

This is another reason to not hoop a garment just the stablizer.  Rarely if never will a sheet of stablizer pop out of a hoop.

Marge

YES, my life and projects have improved immensely since going hoopless.

I've been using Press n' Seal freezer weight for stabilizer!!

NEVER slips, sticky enough but never a sticky needle.

The selvedges hold back my fabric edges.  Cheap Cheap!

No more problems, just enjoying my favorite hobby.

duckie0851@msn.com 4/2/2011 11:01:07 AM

I agree.  I rarely ever hoop anything - saves a lot of stress. And the embroidery comes out just lovely.  I usually use stickey-back stabelizer to attach my fabric to or pin it on a cut-away or even tear away.  

Works like a charm.

Great tips, thank you.

lilbit8867 4/2/2011 1:54:41 PM

Oh--I'm a new embroiderer--what do you mean you don't hoop the garments? Do you just hoop sticky stabilizer and lay the garment on top?

Also, chrises--what is press and seal freezer weight? Where can I purchase that?

Thank you!!

Chrises' comment about the Press and Seal is very interesting. Can you tell us how it is used?

You can buy Press & Seal at the grocery store.   I also use Press & Seal to copy designs on when I am free motion quilting.

I am also new to machine embroidery, and I'm loving it. Thank you for all the pointers. Not hooping a garment sounds interesting, I'd like to learn more. Thank's.

I didn't know Press n Seal came in different weights?

To all the newbies, it is easier not to hoop. Just hoop the stabilzer, and either stick with the sticky stabilzer, temporary spray adhesive, or even pin your project to the hoop. Keep the pins as far to the edge of the hoop as possible, and do a "scan" so you know the needles will not hit any of them. Works wondrfully.