Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
momof2cutebugs  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 4:20:52 AM(UTC)

what is the best way to embroider on ribbon for hairbows?

cscarboro  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:46:10 AM(UTC)

Hey there!   I learned by the hit & miss technique.  I didn't search for ideas on the internet like I should have, so I ruined LOTS of ribbon.  But I now sell monogrammed ribbons for shoes that I sell.  I also make monogrammed hairbows.  So it its do-able.  I use good quality grosgrain ribbon and iron-on stabilizer.  I have a 4x4 hoop, so I can fit 3 ribbons side-by-side into my hoop.  That way I can get the most use from 1 piece of stabilizer.  Let me know if I can help some more.  I'd be glad to email a pic, but I can't figure out how to attach it.  If you'll email me, I can do it.

Happy Embroidering!!

beamishboy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:03:51 AM(UTC)

cscarboro, instructions for attaching a file or photo to your posts are at:

http://www.annthegran.com/cs/forums/p/200/380.aspx#380

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:27:24 AM(UTC)

Hello Cscarboro - I would like to know how you are doing the ribbons.  I am working on a Blog here at AnnTheGran and will be doing a hooping blog around June 6, 2008.  If I may, I would like your info and perhaps use it on my blog.

I never reinvent the wheel.  If you have discovered a great way to do this, I want to know all about it!

Pat

cscarboro  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:05:02 PM(UTC)

I'll be glad to take some pics while doing the process.  Give me a couple of days and then I'll email them to you.  Thanks!!  Oh.....I enjoy reading your blogs.  I'm new at this, so I can used all the help I can get!!!
Cristy

ritamae46  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:07:44 AM(UTC)

cscarboro

Good deal!  Can't wait to see the ribbons and to have instructions on how to do them.  What a really neat idea!  My granddaughters will have ribbons all over the darn place if I learn how to do it.  :)

Rita

jalcumbrack  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:13:30 PM(UTC)

That would be awesome to have the instuctions on how to do that for all !

mrynnwl  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:31:51 AM(UTC)

I need to embroider on black grogain for cheer leader head ribbons and have tried several WS - sticky, used KK2000, edge basting (all with fix stitch), and it still is wavy. HELP! 

pat71896  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 3:16:21 AM(UTC)

Post a photo for us to look at.  I know someone here can help you.

Instructions for posting photos (use your own name, not Marls33)

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

ntapple  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:19:31 PM(UTC)

Good morning - you have intrigured me!  I have daughters and granddaughters and all have asked me to monogram their hair ribbons and bows, but I have been at a loss!  When you say you use iron on stabilizer....does that stay on the ribbons afterwards?  I'm afraid the only stabilizer I have ever used is the water soluble for some embroidering I do by machine.  I also have a smaller hoop that I could certainly lay the ribbons side by side, but are you ironing the stabilizer to all 3 ribbons as one piece?  Do you cut them later?  Sorry - I just can't picture it, but am looking forward to your reply.  If you need to email me directly, i am nancyhomes@hotmail.com.  Thanx soooo much!

pattiann  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:12:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

This video will provide help with the basics - http://lindeegembroidery...on-with-metallic-thread/

djc4209  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 10:09:32 PM(UTC)

yes i would like to have a picture. (of course you realize that I learn from pictures and from someone showing me how, than by reading directions) I'm assuming you use a alphabet of Script, or such and letters that are about 1" high. I learned how to make bows from a video. how do you attach them to shoes or flip flops. thanks donna

djc4209  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 10:11:03 PM(UTC)

hi I asked a question and posted  it. but it came back with error sign. trying again

pattiann  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2010 11:07:44 PM(UTC)

[quote user="djc4209"]

hi I asked a question and posted  it. but it came back with error sign. trying again

Ignore the error messages.  Why they appear I do not know, but the poster ends up posting the same question or comment several times.

marsuz  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 11:01:06 PM(UTC)

Hi

I have done many ribbons and I use my 4X4 hoop and sticky stablizer.  Hoop the stablizer and then lay the ribbons down the way you want them embroidered.  If I do longer ribbons I use the larger hoop.  This will work for any small item you want to do.

Marge

sgilpin  
#16 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:24:05 AM(UTC)

trying to lean how to embroidry on hair bows and I'm looking for all the help I can get.

pattiann  
#17 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:43:11 PM(UTC)

Here is a video by Lindee Goodall _ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emq_Qq4Z3iQ 

However, this video is a few years old and there are new products that in are now in use.

(1) If the design of choice does not have a basting stitch, which in the video is actually used for placement, you can use the running stitch frame.  Most embroidery machines have this built-in feature.  The frames can be sized as needed.

(2) There are now woven wash away stabilizers that you may prefer to the cut away used in the video.

(3) I would used only the Sulky spray and not the tape and spray.

(4) Titanium coated embroidery machine needles do not heat up like a non coated needle and therefore there is less likelihood of gumming of the needle and thread, which then results in breakage of the thread.

And then, there is this product - http://www.annthegran.co...Hoop/1/DIME07210705.aspx

Always test new products and designs before applying to your intended project. 

dstewart1  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 11:17:28 PM(UTC)

Hi

I saw this post and was hoping ot get more information. About the ribbon embroidery.

I am new to the whole embroidery thing and just ordered a Brother400 computerized machine. I already have a job lined up and was hoping to use ribbon for it. 

I have a 4x4 hoop and have already ordered the sticky stabalizer sheets.

I have to do clothing items that will be washed in very hot water, very often. Do you recommend using the ribbon?

I am a little scared of screwing the ribbon up. I am unfamiliar with how to do the starting places of the thread.

Thanks for any info that you can help me with.

~Dawn

pattiann  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 11:36:35 PM(UTC)

Welcome to ATG.

Learn the machine by sitting down with scraps and various stabilizers and as you read - begin with the first page - apply every step of each feature.  That way you won't have any down time when it comes to producing a successful project.

Go through the entire manual.  Cleaning the bobbin case is just as important as correct threading of the machine.

The best way to tell if a textile will hold up to extreme laundering would be to test before useing in the project.  Products can have different components and to say how this or that one will react is difficult to predict.

The design chosen will start and stop with a locked stitch.

Best wishes for many successful projects.

marsuz  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:53:24 PM(UTC)

You are starting with something that is not easy to do and a 4x4 hoop is not going to let you do very much.  I the end product as you say will be washed in very hot water often than I would only use grossgrain ribbon and poly thread.

Please practice with the machine, do a couple of stitch outs to find the start and end. Let us know how you do.

Marge