Why You Should Trim Jump Stitches

Do you trim your jump stitches as they happen? Maybe you should!

Good digitizers have very few jump stitches in their designs. Since not all machine embroidery designs are created the same, you will undoubtedly come across some that feature several jumps. Overlapping thread can be a problem unless you trim it.

Trimming as You Go

I like to trim jump stitches as they happen. Otherwise, as the thread stretches from one position to the next, it can be stitched over by other parts of the design. That makes for more of a mess and increases the chance of cutting good stitches when trimming later.

After a jump, I let the machine make a couple of stitches in its new position and then I stop the machine. I’ll trim the thread and then start the machine again. I find that gives me much cleaner embroidery, covering up thread ends nicely.

In some cases, if you don’t trim as you go, it is nearly impossible to remove threads that are buried under other embroidery.

Trimming jump stitches is especially important when you can see through the embroidery, as with lace designs or embroidery on sheer projects.

Trimming the Back Between Colors

Don’t forget to trim jump stitches on the back, too. Every time the thread jumps on the front, the bobbin thread also jumps.

Trimming the back as you go is pretty easy to do since the machine stops for each color. At each color change, remove the hoop from the machine, turn it over, and trim jump stitches on the back.

Even though the back is seldom seen in machine embroidery, keeping stitches clean prevents snags, keeps lumps and bumps from showing, and just looks more professional.

Do you trim as you go or do you trim at the end?

Debbie SewBlest