Gift of Heart

Mother’s Day is tomorrow and this project makes a nice last-minute gift that can be displayed all year. It also would make a nice favor for wedding receptions and gift tags for any occasion. Better yet, the design is on sale right now for just 57 cents!

I am using Lace Heart Applique by Stitchiize.

Hoop two layers of fabric-type water soluble stabilizer. For the applique fabric, I used four layers of an iridescent open weave mesh. To add stability, I added a layer of organza between two sets of two layers of mesh.

So everything did not shift, I basted the five layers in place and added a water soluble topper.

The design stitches just like a traditional applique: placement stitch, tack-down stitch, zig zag edge, lace loops, and satin stitch finish.

After the tack-down stitch, remove the basting stitches and trim away the excess mesh and organza up to the stitch line. Continue embroidery, using the same color of thread in the bobbin as that with which you are stitching, just as you would with freestanding lace designs.

When embroidery is done, carefully trim the stabilizer close to the looped edges and tear off the topper. Rinse away the rest of the stabilizer. I like to just rinse enough to dissolve the surface stabilizer. Letting some water soluble stabilizer in the thread keeps it crisp.

Press the embroidery between paper towels to remove excess water and lay it flat to dry.

Attach a string to hang or use it as a doily or pretty accent.

Debbie SewBlessed