Snowman Door Hanger from Hang to Dry Applique Made by Bonnie Abbott

My name is Bonnie Abbott and I have been embroidering for about 12 years now. I have 3 embroidery machines a Babylock Ellisimo and an Ellegante 2 and I just purchased a Brother PR655 Entrepreneur which I have not used yet as I need to have my desk remodeled first. I can't wait to get started using it. 

I embroider almost everyday and love doing large items.  I have sold 4 of my snowmen to friends and charged $20.00 for the 25 inch one and $15.00 for the 22 inch snowman. I made a smaller 17 inch one for my granddaughter and a 25 inch one for my daughter to hang up at work.

This snowman is made in the hoop and takes 5 hooping’s. I made mine so that it looked the same on both sides.

I used tearaway stabilizer and felt. I stitched the arms and the hands first, removed them from the hoop and trimmed them. Set aside till needed.

Next I made the bottom section, removed them from the hoop and trimmed it.

Next I hooped the stabilizer and stitched out the stitch guide to attach the bottom piece.

Next the boots got stitched out and attached to the bottom. I removed this from the hoop and trimmed the boots. 

Next I hooped my stabilizer and then stitched out the guides to attach the arms to the stabilizer and then added the center body part and sewed that out.

Next I stitched the placement stitch on the stabilizer for the bottom body part with the boots. Then I stitched out the stitch line arms and for center body part and added my material; and finished sewing the center body part to the arms and bottom body. I removed this from the hoop and trimmed up the center body part.

Next I hooped my stabilizer to stitch out the stitch line to add the center body part; and stitched that down then I stitched out the shape for the head and added the material and stitched that down; removed from hoop and trimmed.

Next came the hat placement stitch and adding the material for hat.

After the material for the hat was stitched down I added the trim for the hat.

Next came the stitch outs for the eyes, nose and mouth. Once this was done I removed him from the hoop and trimmed up around the hat. Then I added some cord to the back of the hat for hanging.

I cut out some circles from the left over black felt to use for buttons and glued them on and he was finished.

This sounds like a lot of work but I had fun making him and have made several more.

As soon as anyone sees him they want him. They sell fast.

We are excited to have tourlady522, Bonnie Abbott, as a guest blogger this week. Welcome her, she did an excellent job on the directions for a great Snowman. 

Please leave some comments below to help encourage your fellow embroiderer for more blogs like this. Thanks.

Comments (3) -

How can we purchase the snow man design

Bonnie, This is a great idea especially for a charity bazaar this time of year. I also like the idea of doing both sides. It just makes sense.

I cannot wait to hear about that 6 needle machine. Also, I have noted many times that we who embroider simply cannot do without our previous machines. Here is my blog about keeping these machines. community.annthegran.com/.../your-other-stash  

The responses are particularly interesting. The stories are heartwarming about first machines.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

tourlady522 11/13/2016 1:57:18 PM

Hi pem512.
You can purchase the design here www.hangtodryapplique.com/snowman-door-hanger/
I had a lot of fun making these so I hope you do too.

tourlady522