The Avid Embroiderer Presents - A Stabilizer Tip and a Beautiful Freebie of Remembrance

You may have read the Blog from Deborah Jones regarding removing water-soluble stabilizers. It is an interesting tip, check it out! 

A comment in that blog asked about Heat-Away types of stabilizers. When the lady who commented asked about the best practices, I just had to help her out. During several emails, not on the Comments page, I went over the methods I have found by personal and frequent use (not to mention failures)

Heat-away types are a specialty stabilizer that can be used for just about everything, they have their features and drawbacks.

The good news -
When you have used it for a while, it works wonderfully, but getting used to a different stabilizer can be like a 2-year old on skates - watch out.

I have used just two types, one is a film with a 'grabbing' side and a fabric style that is woven. The woven style turned brown and simply dust off the small pieces left over. Here are the tips for the film with the rough back.

1. Hoop the fabric and stabilizer with the rough side of the stabilizer to the fabric. It adheres quite well.
  2. When embroidery is completed, remove larger pieces of the stabilizer using a tear-away motion You will want to use some anti-static or hand lotion before removing small pieces.
  3. If you are doing lettering, your smallest scissors will work well between the lines, see below. I cut the top or bottom edge of letters and pull off the remainder by hand. That is a closer edge than the scissors can get, keeping the iron much cleaner.
  4. Using an iron on medium/high, depending on the fabric, use a tissue (Kleenex type)* to cover the stitches. Use the iron in a circular motion, until all the remaining film melts. The tissue will have the leftover stabilizer on it, including the insides of letters such as an "a" or an "e", discard tissue.
  5. Make sure you follow the manufacturer's directions, and never use your iron with steam!

Heat-Away Film type.

Remove

medium size pieces by (if not removed, may cause large sticky area which can damage your iron)

There is very little left, and nearly no stabilizer left in the 'a' and 'o'.

You may be able to see the very small pieces picked up by tissue

If you are working with something that is causing static cling, or your clothes are sticking to you, hand lotion is a great way to stop that cling immediately.

This freebie is being given by AnnTheGran, and especially Windmill Designs,  in Remembrance of those whose lives were taken in Orlando, Florida. The freebie is to acknowledge those whose lives were over too soon. We hope you will create a memento for yourself or someone dear to you.

You may decide to add a special phrase of your own choosing or select one of these we find to be appropriate:

• ·         Non-violence is a weapon of the strong.   Mahatma Gandhi
  • ·         Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages.   Thomas A. Edison
  • ·         There is no such thing as defeat in non-violence.   Cesar Chavez

ALG0011D .zip (175KB)

Read more quotes:

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/non-violence.html

Review more items from the design vendor:

https://www.annthegran.com/Brands/Windmill-Designs/Designs.aspx

With nearly 30,000 designs, many under $5.00, it is a great design center.

Comments (3) -

Thank you so much. We are ALL different in our own way but NO ONE deserves such a fate. The hate needs to STOP. Thank you for thinking of the victims and their loved ones.

Thank you 'Flghtlss' for your comment. You are so right, such a fate is not what we would want for our loved ones. Then consider that each of these persons had loved ones too. They are not a 'stand alone' in this world, we need to care about each other.

Let's remember we are brothers and sisters.

May you be blessed in ways you have not yet imagined.  

Pat

This design is an eternal thought for all the world.

I hope you enjoy embroidering it, it is a truth we can live with.