Embroidered Shirt to Honor a Veteran’s Commitment

Each of our veterans is a true hero who has made a commitment to serve in times of war or peace. Our veterans deserve the full measure of our respect. This project was submitted by Sue Ellen Parker. Sue Ellen used her creative talents to show her loved one and others how proud she was of their dedic... [More]

Embroidered Greetings Cards

Our international trend continues this week with a project from Jean Isley in England. Growing up du [More]

Christmas Tree Skirt from Table Runners

To take a simple or plain idea and mold it into something personal and unique is always rewarding. Michelle Gauthier created a special Christmas tree skirt to become a focal point for holiday cheer in her home. Without spending a lot she gave of her time and love to bring special smiles to those aro... [More]

Simple Baby Quilt for Cold Northern Winters

Creating keepsakes for loved ones is such a joy for those who love to sew. With her simple blankets, Sue Kerlin shows us how she continues her love of giving to family even when life is too full for intricate details.Sue's Description:I picked this pattern of baby quilt because I am not a detail... [More]

A Little Treasure - Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Hi, Folks,I'm in a bit of a quandary. When I set up this blog, I made it clear to the team here who help me get this to you that I really wanted the blog to focus on projects contributed by the AnnTheGran community. So far, you've all been great with that, and we've seen some gr... [More]

The Perfect Gift - Embroidered Wine Bottle Bags

Tuck a bottle of their favorite beverage inside a festive wrap - no wrapping paper required. Trisch Rosema's embroidered gifts of wine got rave reviews even though they were quick and easy. What a lovely hostess gift one of these custom wine bags would make! Or you could do as Trisch did and mak... [More]

Race Car Themed Quilt for "Big Boy Bed"

Every child's first birthday is exciting and every mother wants to create great memories of the event. This race car themed quilt was created by Gina Martinez to complete her son's graduation to a "Big Boy Bed" and give him a special birthday memory to cherish for years to come.Gen... [More]

Blown Away By Baby Blankets

This project was submitted by Kim Yunkun. I chose to post this one because it is simple but beautiful and any level of embroiderer can do it. Not everyone is an expert, but everyone can share the sense of pride that we all feel when we've accomplished something. Sometimes, when we've been do... [More]

Share Your Creations with our Community!

Our creations are like our babies! The amount of time and care we expend on a cherished project makes those products of our hands and our hearts feel pretty special.You are currently resting your eyes on my new blog. If you don't know what a blog is, don't worry about it. Neither did I until... [More]

Quick Project - Blackwork Placemats

We wanted to create a design collection that you could use to add some classic style to your project whether you are embroidering evening accessories, elegant linens or an heirloom piece. My Blackwork collection is a versatile set of ornamental designs, professionally digitized for beautiful results... [More]
Straight from the horses' mouth

Straight from the horses' mouth

If you can stand just another blog about 60 weight thread, I was looking through some of the designs that will lend themselves to enhancement by lighter weight thread. This blog about horses and 60 weight thread will delight and please any animal lover but especially horse fanciers. (OK, maybe not. . . . )

Unparalleled beauty, a rich history and a unique ability to bond with their owners.

From the ancient deserts of the Middle East evolved the oldest known breed of riding horse, the Arabian. Now one of the most popular breeds in America, the Arabians' incredible energy, intelligence and gentle disposition allow riders to excel in most equine sports and activities. Today, Arabian horses spend as much time on the trail as they do at horse shows and other competitive events.  (To read more about these magnificent horses, click on the photo.)

Photo courtesy of:  https://www.arabianhorses.org/education/education_history_intro.asp

For the truly beautiful embroidery of just about any subject, use of the 60 weight will give more elegance in subtle highlights, shadows, delicates, dainty designs, baby items and details.  Using it with a detailed embroidery design is just what your embroidery needs to get to the next level.

Think in terms of using an extra sharp pencil, giving points that are viewed by the eye as just a dot - but that dot is a WOW!  If you have ever looked at a bitmap, those dots make a great photo.

Just as the dots do their work almost anonymously, so does each of the stitches of embroidery.

And, when we go one step further and use a lighter weight thread, we may well have something worthy of a treasure for your personal best project and a possible museum piece!

I recommend having on hand several colors of 60 weight.  Additionally, I also recommend having metallics in their most used colors:  Here is my suggested colors for the 60 weight:

• white
  • brown (I prefer brown to black)
  • red
  • beige
  • green
  • blue, light and deep
  • pink or salmon
  • grey

For metallics, I keep these on hand:

• silver
  • gold (more than one shade, if available)
  • copper
  • brass
  • blue
  • red
  • green
  • white

I might even make use of a little metallic on a horse design as well.  Just a glint of sparkle can be a defining project.  In the following photo, use of a silver metallic thread on the harness would be fantastic.  (I am using all these 'extreme' adjectives because I think the Arabian Horse is so incredible.)

The following design, available here at AnnTheGran, is one that comes to my mind as the prize for a horse lover or just someone who loves mind-boggling artistry.

Since there are 11 colors to create this design, you have multiple opportunity to for light weight threads to shade and show the details.  I personally would review the colors and the sequence to determine where I want to make alterations that will make my project really outstanding. 

My testing of this concept is below.  Obviously, I sewed this on a much too light a fabric (and did not compensate with stabilizer) for the weight of the stitches.  Nontheless, it gave me a lot of information. 

As is common for my camera, the photo does not clearly indicate what I hoped to show you.  However, the 'in person' design has silver for the blade on the left skate, and the 60 weight was only used on the shadow.  There IS a difference in person that you cannot view.

You are always more judgemental on your work that the average person.  Most people looking at your final results would be in awe.  Not everyone knows the difference between good and acceptable embroidery.  Other embroiderers will see or wonder what you actually did.  It is truly subtle.  But you can see the finer points that you personally created.  You are the expert of your project, my blog on your knowledge is worth a second look. 

Lastly, when I have a design that has many facets to it - like the skates - adjectives can be winter, skates, shadow, sports among other things, the use of Catalog Xpress 2.5 is just the ticket.  You save your designs on a hard disk with a back up on a USB drive.  Then, you place your LINK (only) in various folders that describe the content.  Therefore, your design link can be in one place or dozens and easier to find.  Catalog Xpress DOES NOT save your designs, it gives you a link to your actual design.  

(Also Note: Madeira Incredible Threadable Gift Boxes are on sale this week!)

Comments (3) -

I love catalog Xpress. Love the horse embroidery as well as the picture. I never thought of using the 60 weight in small increments. What a way to make a certain area special.

Thanks

It is difficult to see the difference in a photo, but I can see it very well.

One thing about most people is that they don't know good embroidery from bad.  But when I am done with my projects, I want to be proud.  It does not matter to me if they know the difference.  

It is interesting that when you start thinking about 'stepping' up just a little, ideas will come to you.  Sometimes it takes practice to point your thinking that way, but it will happen.  

As the tree is bent, so the tree is inclined.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

Ooops, that should be "as the twig is bent, so the tree is inclined."