Breakfast at Tiffanys

WOW!  "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was one charming, romantic and fun film.  I remember seeing it for the first time when I smiled so much that my face hurt.  That has not changed in the dozen or so times I have re-watched that film.  Audrey Hepburn's best, and my favorite film for her, is 'Wait Until Dark.'  I may just have to have my own personal Audrey Hepburn movie marathon just for me. We could go on and on - (My Fair Lady!). . .

Today's movies are full of violence, four letter words (If removed, the movie would be reduced to a 10 minute chase scene.) good/bad guys neither of which have any redeeming qualities and of course, the nude scenes.  It is sad, movie goers see so little romance and simple happiness on the screen. 

On to my topic for this blog.  The romance from Breakfast is the mood I am seeking with my Toile design today.  I love Toile because it is straightforward, simple, uncomplicated and understatedly elegant all at the same time. 

Interestingly, during my research, I found that the original Toile was often in multiple colors. 

This photo is not an original, but it is lovely just the same.  Truly, while this is on the busy side, it is really very charming.  You can purchase this one - which is sold in 45" increments; the rider less horse is about 5 1/2" ( 13.97 cm. ) tall; the punt is about 6 1/2" ( 16.51 cm. ) long. The width is 57" and 100% cotton.  It is only $24 per 45" length.  That is reasonable!  Many of the ones I found were closer to $100 to $500 per length.

No wonder we find these in the finest of homes.  By the time we determine the matching and other considerations for a sofa or drapes, you have a significant investment.

Toile is also related to Chinoiserie (shēnˌwäz-rēˈ) that I presented in May, 2011. It is probable that many 'trends' and 'new' ideas get their inspirations from the truly timeless items we all appreciate. 

How lucky we all are to be in a craft that pays homage to so many beautiful things.  We can replicate and enjoy things many people can only see from afar.

I selected this design from the beautiful Starbird collection.  It was a difficult decision because Great Notions has some fantastic ones as well.  As an additional money savings value, both of these designs come in Design Packs making them priced as low as $1. to $2.65.  When you appreciate them with their artistic value, (I consider many of my designs as works of art), they are really reasonable.

I am starting with a nylon stabilizer.  The reason is that I want my fabric/design to have a lot of stability while it is still flexible.  At the price of $15.99 for Club Members, it is vefry reasonable!

I am not really sure where I want to use the project, but I know what I like.  Stability and soft are good combinations and not all stabilizers can do that.  I could also use Badgemaster.  In the final decision, the nylon was the right choice as you will see later.

I created my first 'discovery sew' (finding out about what the end result will really look like), I used 60 weight thread.  I did not use bobbin thread because it lacks the sheen that the thread will have. 

I am using my 'pin and baste' method because I am becoming a very big fan of that process.  After the baste is complete, I can get another good look at my placement and that is a plus for me.  (As you can see, I am into the "Tiffany Blue" mood.  It is a beautiful color to say the least.  It is as close as I will come to anything from Tiffany's!!)  This scarf is the true Tiffany Blue, and only $150, at the Tiffany site. 

Back to the project. I also tried doing the Toile in a 40 weight gold colored thread.  It looks a lot better in person than it does in the photo.  The first is the 40 weight and the second is the 60 weight (in white). See my blog on the explanation of the weight of thread.

The gold is indeed much more vibrant.  But you can see the difference in the coverage from the 60 weight thread. 

In the end, I did decide on placing my master piece on a chair.  I can't wait to finish it!

As you can see, Badgemaster would not have been a good choice here.  One spill of a drink and it would not have a happy ending. 

The draping is perfect and using the right design, the right stabilizer and the right techniques will result in something you will treasure for a long time to come.

Comments (4) -

purdygirlpeg 7/28/2013 3:17:37 PM

You seem like a nice lady and I enjoy your tutorials but I have to disagree about Breakfast at Tiffany's. The main character, Holly Golightly, was a call girl. It was a story filled with angst, not fun or romance. Sorry to break the news.

I had been sick for 4 days when I wrote this.  I thought about it after I published it, and you are totally right.  

However, I really don't enjoy the movies of today.  I stand by that.  I have not seen anything good for a long time.  If any one has, I would like to hear about it.

I like this design. I have dining chairs with cushion covers, velveteen type, and when the little grand kids come and eat, there is always food left on the chairs. Having beautiful covers that can be washed is an ideal solution! Thanks.

I like Fiddler on the Roof and House on the Lake. In House on the Lake, they carry on a romance without ever meeting..... so, no sex, violence, and I don't remember foul language. (I could be wrong on that...sorry)

Thanks, Clem

Clem, I will have to check out the film.  I enjoy a romance and when a movie is recommended to me, I find that appealing!

Thank you and best wishes to you and yours, Pat, The Avid Embroiderer