Keeping It Simple - Owls Are In

I know that I have told you about all the babies that are on their way.  And their mother's are now doing the decorating.  Many of our daughter's friends have seen her baby's room and when she asked them what they would like as a shower gift several requested the framed names.  You can see the one we did for Anna here.  Now we usually wait until the child is born since the names can change along the way.  But they are so fast and easy that we can have them done by the time baby and momma get home from the hospital. Here is the latest one we did (minus the frames which were hanging empty on his wall) for Noah's room.  The theme was owls so we made an owl appliqué to match.  The fabric was left over from a fall quilt project.  You can download the owl appliqué design below. 

And here are the ones for Kate's room

There really isn't much of a tutorial for these.  I just made Kate's letters in Pacesetter ELS Lettering using Block compact light font.  

I made them about 6" tall and used pattern fill 3.  I played with the height box until they all showed  5.94" -5.95" in the bar at the top of the page.  Then I saved each letter individually in the format for my machine.

We sewed them centered on 8" x 10" fabric rectangles that match the nursery.  I used a medium weight cut away stabilizer cut 8x10 as well. We did not trim it away.  The frames we use are 8x10 with 5x7 mats.

*Note:  For Noah's name I used the Goudy slim condensed font in Designer's Gallery LetterWorks software but the procedure was exactly the same.

For a tutorial on doing appliqué go to this blog

Download the appliqué owl here.

Giving these as gifts is easy and makes the mother feel special as well as adding a unique touch to the nursery or Toddler's room.  Andrea went over to visit and mount these in the frame and finish off Noah's room.

You can use these for other things as well like this Christmas display.

To see more unique ideas for babies take a look at these projects.

Summer fun Embroidered Baby Ts

Themed Baby burpies

Embroidered Photo Baby blocks

From Fancy Jumbles

Baby Bibs

Diaper changing pad

And Blank Check

A quick tutorial for Terry - Terry cloth that is.

And yes, it is Earth Day this week.  I posted some links to earth friendly projects in the email in case you missed them earlier. 

Take care,

DB