I Should Know Better!

Often, I have very large and complex projects to design, digitize, test, photograph and write the in [More]

Fancy Belt Packs

Do you remember the Paisley belt pack I made for my friend last summer?Here is a [More]
Jacobean Embroidery

Jacobean Embroidery

It is my belief that any art form, such as embroidery is difficult to pin down as to who, when and where it was created and the evolution that follows is the same.  Jacobean is associated with King James I and the time is circa the beginning of the 17th century.

Jacobean is generally associated with crewel workings and often characterized by the fauna, floral and the beauty of forests. 

During the same period, not only tapestry and fine linens were adorned with the Jacobean style, but jackets, both men's and women's were often embellished with it as well.

Willow Leaves are shown on this jacket.

The above are examples of the layout and stitch matrix for a design that was from a bed hanging.

Fast forward to 2010 and the following photos demonstrate the beauty that still captures the essence of Jacobean embroidery.   I have selected a Jacobean design from the Morango Collection which can be purchased singly or as a set.  

I want to show you the beautiful details that are digitized by the professionals at Morango.  You can see some of the detail in the sew out of the design that the branch and the flower are particularly intricate and beautiful.  The finished product is in the first photo.  In the 2nd photo, I worked past the underlay and just tried to show the detail of those stitches.

For me, this is the difference between just digitizing and really professional designs.

Last, but certainly not least, here is my display of my project.  As you may already know, I consider my collection of designs to be as enjoyable as someone who might collect art work or stamps.  My embroidery designs, selected for their beauty are my treasures.  I display my work with my important photos of my family. 

You may recognize this tablecloth from my Dotted Swiss Blog.  Displaying my projects is important to me. 

Information for this blog has been researched from Wikipedia and Project Gutenberg, both of which are considered to Public Domain information and photos.  This author and AnnTheGran assume no responsibility for any errors of a copyright nature. 

If you are interested in viewing the entire Project Gutenberg document, along with the lovely photos, you can see it here.

Comments (7) -

i like it.

nice

Very interesting, thank you.  I understand what you say about the difference between digitizing and doing professional work.  The proof is in the details, definitely!

Thank you so much for your comments.

Those detailed stitches make a design more authentic and come alive.  You cannot see those things very well in a photo, so you must trust your digitizer.   Morango stands up to that test!

Pat

It's gorgeous. Thanks very much for pointing out the importance of the detailed stitches. It's not easy to see sometimes in the design description. I love the way you display your projects. Kamala

Thank you Kamala!

I agree that it is difficult to see details like the ones above.  If someone would show those things in their sales information, I think they would sell more.

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat