The Sylvia Furniture Story

A long time ago in a land far, far away there lived a man named Horst Kunow.  Horst was young and strong and enjoyed working with his hands and constructing furniture.  Being born and raised in Germany, his heritage was from a long line of quality craftsman.  As an apprentice he learn... [More]

Magic Bookshelf - New Site Features and a Question for Readers

Greetings, all, from the Great White North! It's been a busy last couple weeks here, so I thought I'd better get my act together and get back to the Magic Bookshelf. My greeting notwithstanding, we have no snow up here yet, but they say it might come next week. Any of you down in the warm p... [More]

LaRueSews-Do It Round or Do It Square?

So, my friends, you have covered a lot of territory with LaRueSews quilting.  Now what?  I guess it’s really time to decide whether you want to hand piece or machine piece.  Most of what I have talked about so far can apply to either technique.   With a few exceptions,... [More]

This Holiday Season With My Brother, Literally

Hello Everyone,             Now that the trip is over with, my bags have been unpacked, the laundry done, and things are settling back into the humdrum everyday life, I had to make some decisions about this next year and what I will be doing. First... [More]

June from Brother - Brother at the Houston Quilt Market and Festival

Everyone is busy on so many counts at this time of year.  Some of you are changing over the house to have that warmer cozy look, others are visiting family members and still others are involved in a wide variety of political activities.  Whatever it is, it is keeping everyone busy ... [More]

An Anniversary and a New Journey

Today wraps up AnnTheGran.com’s 12th year “on the air.” With all the excitement about our new digital scrapbooking area, and all the time I was spending getting my own products ready for the store, I completely forgot until I looked at the date. It’s been a long journey and m... [More]

Piggyback Hooping

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alph [More]

The last Minute-Addendum

As you can see, I found the gaggle of travel drives and software security devices that I THOUGHT I had inadvertently left at home when I flew to Kentucky last week. Of course, as soon as I get home, the first place I went was to the computer bag from which I had transferred my laptop for travel. I f... [More]

Off The Beaten Path

Hi Everyone, I hope you all enjoyed the writings about thread, I do realize that it was a little intense. So I decided to keep it light this time and give you some fun things to ponder. I know some or most of you know that I was a bit "out of touch" these past days. I suddenly realized th... [More]

LaRueSews-Quilting-Quarter Inches to Heirlooms.

To begin this time, I want to relate a very “telling” experience.  This experience told me that you very well can become a really good quilter if only you practice, practice, practice.  My husband and I went to my daughter’s house last weekend to attend our grand daughter... [More]

June from Brother - Tone-on-Tone Designs & Hole-Punching on the Quattro

Not sure where the last two weeks have gone but it seems like it is time to check in with you all,  again.  I have recently been to Des Moines, Iowa for two reasons.  The first was so I could film a video for a new feature on www.allpeoplequilt.com (part of Better Homes and Gardens) a... [More]

If it weren’t for the last minute I’d never get anything done.

Well, this is a first for me. I’ve frequently thought that if I didn’t get something finished before leaving on a trip I could do it in the airport or on the plane, but I’ve never actually done it. Until today.  As we were leaving for the airport I turned to Bill and said, &ld... [More]

The Spool Mini-Series Part 2, The Condensed Edition!

Hello Happy Stitcher's!   I am going to cut right to the chase here today, as I have been wading through 35 pages of information on thread!  Yes 35 pages!  I understand, Wow! So I am going to give you some things you will likely want to print out and ... [More]

LaRueSews-Quilts, More on fabrics and color

As I start this out today, there are so many things Zinging around in my head, it’s hard to tell which way this edition of LaRueSews will go. I’ve heard writers say that sometimes they start out with just an idea and then just let it roll. I think I’ll tell you a bit about the qui... [More]

Gift-Giving Journey #2 - Something For the Neighbor

I have had it in my head for weeks what I wanted to do this week on the blog.  But, as many of you can probably relate, I backed myself into a corner with my schedule and wasn’t able to create the vision I had in my head.  I’m right in the middle of two of my busiest weeks of t... [More]

Next on Your Safari - Gorgeous Giraffes

TALL , GRACEFUL AND ELEGANT- GIRAFFES The Giraffe, the tallest animal in Africa is both elegant and graceful. Its height allows it to keep in contact with other giraffes over large distances as well as spotting predators from afar. It is not uncommon to see other animals following a giraffe using i... [More]

June from Brother - More Quattro Magic

Hello there folks…. I am sitting here in my sewing room, yes I do have one and just so you feel better I can tell you that it is total disaster area at the moment.  I am actually sitting with my laptop on my ironing board and writing to you as my Quattro is humming along.  You migh... [More]

Crash Course Cathy - Locations of AnnTheGran Users Worldwide!

HELLO HELLO WORLD ME’ers!!!!! Here it is…HOT OFF THE PRESS….drum roll please……AnnTheGran MAP – Level 1 In a nutshell I’ve heard from ME’ers from 39 US states, 1 territory and 16 foreign countries so far. THANKS again for your input!!!... [More]

Create special Christmas Treasures with our 9 Santas Quik Quilt Book and CD!

We have found that by making our cross stitch designs the centerpiece of a quick-to-quilt piece, a lovely finished result is achieved. Many embroiderers also love to quilt, so combining the two “media” seemed like a natural! Cross Stitch designs, especially the small ones, can be use... [More]

My First Christmas Project - Stylish Cocktail Napkins

Hello everyone! I’m Susan from AllAboutBlanks.com and we work with the folks here at AnnTheGran.com to offer you some of our best-selling embroidery blanks right here on Ann's website.  What a nice surprise it was to be asked to participate in the world of blogging here at AnnThe... [More]

A Fall From Grace

Here it is, the second day of Fall, and it’s already cold in the mornings here in Orlando. By “cold” I mean 68° (20° C) which, for me here in Florida, is sweater weather.  It doesn’t usually cool off until the middle of November, so this is quite a treat ... [More]

The Spool Mini-Series

Hello all of you Happy Stitcher's! Wow, can you believe it? This is the 5th edition of this blog! It is hard for me to imagine that I have written 5 already! It sure doesn't seem like it at all. I guess that must mean I enjoy what I do and sharing this ... [More]

LaRueSew-Quilting-Design, You Can Do It!

Sometimes we quilters and ME's want to do what we want to do. We buy books with patterns made by somebody whose tastes are similar to ours, but we want to do it our way. How can I arrange my favorite quilt blocks in a new and different way without taking hours with graph paper, a ruler and color... [More]

MONKEYS AND OTHER ANIMALS YOU CAN EXPECT TO SEE ON SAFARI

Do you have your binoculars ready, camera and  hat? Remember, keep your hands inside the jeep. While on this visual African Safari  remember the animals are not in cages, do not pat or feed them and most importantly remember you are a guest in thier environment!   You can expect to ... [More]
An Addiction to Embroidered Greeting Cards

An Addiction to Embroidered Greeting Cards

Can you believe that July is almost over?  We have the strangest weather here this year.   One day it’s about 100 degrees and the next it barely gets into the 70s.  The month has breezed by filled with gardening (my tomato plants are all dying and I don’t know why), going to the zoo, taking kids to swimming lessons (do other grandma’s do this?) and training a new puppy (sometimes I think he is training me).  I still haven’t finished the quilt for Anna’s nursery (although the room looks pretty cute even without it).  Nor have I finished Lisa’s pillows or the baby-sling for a young girl at church (I am not supposed to make that until the day before the shower anyway, right?).  I have just been too busy having fun with my embroidery.

This week I decided to try some of the brand new Print ‘n’ Stitch Note cards from Designs Magazine.  So I got a couple of sets of the cards and started playing to see what I could do.

Here is the first one that I created.  It really was fun and simple.

If you want to try one similar to mine here are the steps.  If you don’t own Catalog Xpress or Alphabet Xpress you can download trial versions.

1. If you want to print a message inside the card using your PC’s printer  do that before you begin the embroidery.
  2. Measure the circle and determine what size you want the design to be. I brought the X-mas mouse from the Starbird’s Christmas Mice into Catalog Xpress, sized him down to 75% and saved him.    If you haven’t purchased the mouse you can use a design from your own collection.  You can recolor the design in Cat Xpress too if you like.
  3. Next open Alphabet Xpress and merge the saved mouse onto the screen.
  4. Click the text button.  Type Merry Merry Merry and choose the Stonehouse font.  Change the size to .40 inches and apply.
  5. Move the text down on the grid so it is about ½” below the design.
  6. Click the select button and then go to edit and choose select all. 
  7. To the right of the Alignment Icon click the down arrow and choose Horizontal Align Center Selected Objects.
  8. Save the design in your format.  Print a template. Then bring it up in your machine.
  9. Hoop your 5”X7” hoop with a self-adhesive tear-away stabilizer.  This time I used Amazing Designs Smart Sheets Medium weight self-adhesive. With a straight pin score a rectangle in the center of the hoop about 2” tall by 4” wide.  Tear the rectangle of paper off to expose the adhesive. 
  10. There is a set of specially made Placement Kit for these card sets that work really perfect placement.  But I didn’t have these yet when I did this first one so here is what I did: 
    1. Draw a horizontal line across the stabilizer.  Very, very lightly pencil the center on each just at the edge of the card front sides.  Match up with the line on the stabilizer and press to adhere.
    2.  Place your printed design template on the card front where you want the design to be and check to be sure the needle centers match up.  If not move the design in the machine until you are satisfied. 
  11.  Remove the template and embroider the design.
  12. Remove from the hoop and carefully tear away the stabilizer.
  13. Erase any visible pencil markings from the card front.
  14. Add other embellishments as desired.  I used my Dalco Crystals and Wand to add a little sparkle to the one above.
  15. Cover the embroidery inside with one of the stitch covers. 

Here are a few more ideas for cards made with these sets.  The Hi design is free so you can click here to download it and try it if you like.  The Happy Thanksgiving will be included in the Ann’s Club August Phrases.  We will include the swirl design as well.  The little bird is from the Morango Cute Bird collection that will be available very soon.

If you like to use templates the Placement Kit makes setting the card up a breeze.  The step-by-step instructions are easy to follow and Eileen has created some great video clips that you might want to take a look at.  If you already have the Magna Hoop these little templates and target rulers work with the version for your 5X7 hoop.

This sewable paper crafting is really addictive.  It’s a great way to expand your embroidery creations and use more of those designs we have all collected.  Make a few cards and put them up on Ann’s Gallery. We all love the inspiration we get from seeing what our ME friends have created.

Take Care,

PS:  Here's that wayward puppy Cosmo.  They let him graduate from puppy school but I am not sure how much he learned.

Comments (17) -

travelbug1237 7/25/2008 10:22:57 PM

SO CUTE!!!!!

You did a WONDERFUL job explaining how to do this!!!

It looks like us beginners could do this!!!!

Just curious did you use a SPECIFIC size or type of needle???? Can we just use any dulling needle too?

Thanks!!!

CinO

These are so cool!

I've gotten very lazy about sending cards because they seem so expensive for something so ordinary. These will make the occasion even mere special!

I hope Eileen Roche will come up with some special cards for Christmas.

travelbug1237 7/25/2008 11:40:41 PM

OOPs....I don't think I hit the gold stars chart 5 times....so don't feel badly if it appears like you didn't get a bunch....you deserve it!!! ( I just goofed.)

I embroidered my Christmas cards last year and enjoyed every minute of it.  Actually saved $ in doing so.  When I received an email regarding the new Eileen Roche cards, I was all over them.  Ordered them yesterday and cannot wait to work on them.  Still have relatives who refuse to utilize a computer; hence, I must write to them...arrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Borden47

Real cute except I don't agree with "X-MAS"  That takes Christ out of Christmas.

These really are very charming.  I did note, however, that you used a 5x7 hoop.  Will the project work equally well with the 4x4 that some of us are still using?

Also noticed your pup is a Papillon.  Since that's another one of my addictions (along with ME), I had to smile.  We have two Paps.  One is a puppy, and the other is a rescue Papillon about 2 years old.  

Have you (or anyone else) used some of the other papers available for paper embroidery (like...is it Kiwi?)?   Would like to hear about that as well.

One more thing...about the Xmas....did any of you know that using that X was common in the early church when to be a Christian was seriously dangerous?  So, although I'm a Christian, I don't find it offensive.

Ritamae

Ok, so I'm a real blond!  I remembered where I had read about Kiwi paper, and it was your earlier blog.  

However, the Pappy comments are still appropriate! Smile

Rita

travelbug1237 7/29/2008 9:43:54 AM

HH Ritamae,

I do have one quick answer for you....You can use HEAVY cardstock

paper  (not just Kiwi paper  according to my ME instructor.)..I bought a ream of card stock paper at a speciality store...thinking I did great, but it wasn't thick enough, so I haven't actually got to do it yet...but am looking forward to it. Smile

I quit sending cards a few years ago but I think I am going to try your project.  Oh by the way, where are you located?  Please send some 70 degree weather my way (Eastern TX)  Very nice project.  Can't wait to get to it.  

joshedd:  I apologize if the little mouse made you feel that I believe Christmas is less important than it should be.  Since for believers it is the reason we celebrate I would never, ever want to give that impression.

borden47:  If you have any leftovers of the cards you embroidered last year post one to inspire us all.  After all that is what this is all about.

ritamae:  I will try the 4x4 hoop and let you know.  It appears from visually looking at it that it will work just fine.  Yes, Cosmo is a Papillion.  He is our second.  Arnie, our first was a rescue and we loved him for 14 years.

travelbug:  Yes, you can use some cardstock and specialty handmade papers with outline style or very lightweight designs.  But be careful, I have had a lot of not so happy results with some I have tried.  This Kiwi Paper is the best I have ever used.

cettlb:  I am in the Midwest.  It looks like our cool weather is fast coming to an end.  It will be 95 degrees here tomorrow with an index of 100.  Try these cards - you might become addicted too.

Take care

jalcumbrack 7/31/2008 7:36:13 AM

I have been looking at these for so long and so want to try them! You make it seem so easy,and the instructions are easy to follow. You have actually made it exciting to "write" to people again,as is the case with borden47, I too still have family members that refuse to use a computer.LOL.I will be placing and order for these as well!

sharonlamontagne 8/4/2008 10:02:36 PM

You can use regular computer paper in white or various colors to make cards,also. I have made some great ones! You must use low-stitch count designs(like redwork. or other one color designs) and a size 11 needle. After stitching, I cover the back with blank paper,so the stitching doesn't show. I usually use tear-away stabilizer, but cut it away instead of tearing it. Mulberry paper(sold at scrapbooking sites/stores) also works well.  Sharon

Thank you for this great information.  I wondered about heavy card stock, bought some, and was disappointed in the results.

I am going to try these too.  They are not expensive in relation to the ones in the stores.  I just feel like they got to be too much money and I stopped sending cards.  Now I will be sending something really unique and not nearly as much money.  Now if the post office will stop increasing their fees. . . .

Is there any rules about the designs that are best for these?  I am thinking of lots of ideas for "thinking of you" and "get well" and others in addition to the holiday ideas.

BTW, that puppy may have gone to 'school' but, I will bet it was the humans that were being trained!!  Cosmo is just adorable.  When he is tired of living with you, give him my address.  LOL!

Pat

Pat

Ritamae:

I did a card embroidered in the 4X4 hoop.  It did great.  I put it in the project gallery if you want to see it.

http://www.annthegran.com/cs/media/p/4878.aspx">www.annthegran.com/.../4878.aspx

Pat: As far as what design to use I have found that almost any design will work.  Now, that being said, I did not try any of those really old ones from the 1990s that were bullet-proof in their density.  But the Hummingbird and the little brown bird have lots of stitches and underlay and they both did fine.  If you have software and want to remove the underlay you could since you do not need it to stabilize paper.  Still I prefer small, fast and easy designs since these are cards and not my forever creations.

Here are the other 2 things I have found work best:

1.  Sticky, tear-away paper works better than spray adhesive - especially in the 4x4 hoop.

2.  If I use dark lettering I like the finished look better if I use the same color in the bobbin for only the lettering.

Sharon is right that some of the "fiber" papers like mulberry will stand up to embroidery of outline or very light designs.  These are great for adding accents to scrapbook pages or handmade cards but I really do think you will fall in love the Kiwi paper and cards.

Diane

Diane--

Read your note above regarding posting a Christmas card photo I did last year.  I did not originally post the card for 3 reasons:  1. was not an ATG design, 2. could not compare to Eileen Roche cards (!) and, 3. only had TOTAL REJECT sample remaining.  I also had to recall the name of the magazine so that proper credit could be given for the card design.  Tree was done on white cardstock, glued to red cardstock so no stitching showed and cards were already creased for folding.

I have posted the Christmas Card and PALEEZE keep in mind that is card is a reject.

Joan/NJ

This is a great tutorial!

I love embroidering and making paper crafts and combining them into cards.  Soon ME cards will be as popular as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Laughing

Hi, have had an go at embroidering Kiwi paper, but have not had any luck. They always break through the paper. I have tried all sorts of patterns, needles ,threadtypes & stabiliser but still can't complete one.