Notification

Icon
Error

Options
maureen59  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 12:43:48 AM(UTC)

Hi

I am new on this site, but hope someone can help me.  I have a Brother innovis 700e, and the bobbin thread is showing through the top thread. I have adjusted the tension to + and - but its still the same. I am a novice and do not have any service centre or engineers locally. I am open to suggestions and hope someone can help.

Here's hoping

Maureen

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 3:23:41 AM(UTC)

Maureen, Welcome to the wonderful world of machine embroidery (ME) and AnnTheGran (ATG). ME is the most fun craft, it is beautiful, and creative, you are going to fall in love when you get the machine working!

You don't say how long you have had your machine, but there is always the issue of a machine 'sitting' around for awhile.  These machines manufacturered to be running with some frequency.  You may have just gotten it, but it could have been on the store's shelf for some time.  In that case your machine should be serviced by a technician.

We all were 'Newbies' at one time, and the problem you describe is one that plagued me for a long time.  Bobbin thread that shows on top of the fabric has several causes.  You have already tried the tension, so, I will assume you went up to the -5 point.  That means that the top thread tension was decreased in an attempt to adjust to the bobbin.

Next, make sure that the bobbin thread, AND top thread, is threaded correctly.  I suggest that you check with you manual and review that information.  It is easy to miss a spot, and on that machine, I think it is #6, the wire loop.

Along the way of your journey, please read my blog on needles.  Toward the end of that blog, there are files to download to check your tension.  When you do your tension checks, change the needle and use differing thread brands.  It will teach you a lot!

Next, change the bobbin.  Some bobbins are just not wound correctly, no matter who did it. 

Next, (didn't I tell you I had lots of problems?) make sure that your bobbin case area is free of lint and stray threads. 

Next. and ONLY when nothing else works, find a really, really small screwdriver to adjust the screw on the bobbin case.  BE CAREFUL here!  Think of the screw area as if it were a round clock, and move it to the right ONLY about 5 minutes.  That is a really small amount and it is intentionally small because it is not a place to be messing around a lot.

If all that fails, you may need a technician to review your machine.  Sometimes only a tech can fix somethings. 

jalcumbrack  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:23:13 AM(UTC)

Hi Maureen,

You didn't say what you were embroidering on or what you are using for stabilizer. Sometimes it can be a simple solution as well. Can you give a bit more information please?

Judy

marsuz  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:34:30 AM(UTC)

Hi Maureen,

Along with everyone else welcome to our site.  You will have a wonderful time creating things to do with ME.

Now for your problem.  I have been ME for some time and I have sewn for over 50 years.  To this day when I am not paying attention I drop the bobbin in upside down, or the wrong way.  This does cause the bobbin thread to come to the top.  Check your manual to see how it is dropped.

Marge

nanasue62  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 12:24:36 AM(UTC)

I have a Brother PE700 and I am having the same problem - In reading my book when the bobbin thread shows through that means your top tension is too tight.  I have it down to a -8 and it is better but still shows through on some of the stitching. I think it is the bobbin thread I am using and the fact that I wound the bobbin myself insteade of using a pre wound bobbin.  So I am going to make those two changes and see what happens.  You might try those two changes and see what happens.  Also the newer brother machines use the Class 15 bobbins so you need to make sure that is what you are using.  I also have a Simplicity SE 3 machine and it uses the smaller bobbins so I can't interchange with the two machines, I have found out.  Hope this helps.

Nanasue

borden47  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:22:54 AM(UTC)

Hello Marueen,

Welcome to the world of Machine Embroidery.  Once you get the kinks ironed out, you will enjoy it.  Honest. 

I have two Brother embroidery machines and both of them have recommended that their own brand; Brother Bobbinfill be used.  I have pretty much stayed with that except when I used my Madeira bobbinfill from my Thread Chest.

Aside from that, please keep in mind that your bobbin thread must be the same grade as your top thread.  Cannot use 40 Rayon for your design thread (top) and a cotton thread in your bobbin.  If you need to match a color, the bobbin has to be filled with the same thread from the top.

Hope all the suggestions have you on your way to smooth embroidering.

Joan/NJ

nanamoms  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:20:29 PM(UTC)

This is a slightly different question but I'm confused about the prewound bobbins.  I have the SE270D and PE700II.  Both use the Class 15.  Also, the manual for the 700II says to use 90wt bobbin thread but the machine came with a spool of 60wt (Brother Brand). 

What wt do you use?  Also, where do you purchase your Brother prewound bobbins?  I have search every site I know of and can't find the Brother brand.

Also, I just bought my 700II and am doing test samples.  The bobbin thread on the back shows less than 1/8 inch or so.  I thought the thread should be 2/3 color (top thread) and 1/3 bobbin thread.  My 270D also varies but the designs turn out great.

TIA

Carolyn

marsuz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:57:20 PM(UTC)

Hi Carolyn,

Try Allbrands.com for your bobbins.  I buy the pre-wound Janome bobbins from them.  I believe I saw Brother's on there also.  I think Brother uses a shorter bobbin than mine.

The weight of the bobbin thread should match what the top thread is. 

Marge

pat71896  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:51:13 AM(UTC)

There are certainly differing thoughts on bobbin thread. 

The one thing that I feel like I am seeing is that bobbin thread tends to be lighter weight than the top thread.  For instance, I have a spool of  bobbin thread and it is size 70, and another that is 60 weight, the higher the number, the lighter the thread.

The 60 weight is the spool that came with my machine. 

If you look at the 'test' photos in my Needle Blog and you will see what the tension should look like.  Download the test for your format to check for accuracy of your tension.  It is recommended that you test from time to time, I try to do it about once per month.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

grammyshar  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 7:36:06 AM(UTC)

Hi Maureen,

I have a Brother also and had the same problem you've had - with the bobbin thread showing both on top and bottom of the embroidery.  There is nothing wrong with your machine.    I've solved the problem......and it didn't have anything to do with thread weight and/or upper tension.   It was the bobbin thread not "caught" in the bobbin tension spring correctly.      One of the local embroidery teachers told me to get out the manual for the machine and look at the instructions for threading the bobbin and to practice threading the bobbin until you can detect the thread catching on the spring tension.... it worked!  I followed the manual's instructions several times, until I got a feel for when the thread was correctly "caught" in the bobbin spring tension.   Some machines will have a "click" sound when the thread is "caught" in the tension, but my machine doesn't....but you can feel it.   Once your bobbin is correctly threaded in the bobbin tension, you can embroider !

Sharon

maustu  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 12:39:34 PM(UTC)

Hi I have the same machine and I find the needles are the cause I can only use schmetz, also check your bobbins they are very sensitive

maustu  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 12:42:53 PM(UTC)

[quote user="maureen59"]

Hi

I am new on this site, but hope someone can help me.  I have a Brother innovis 700e, and the bobbin thread is showing through the top thread. I have adjusted the tension to + and - but its still the same. I am a novice and do not have any service centre or engineers locally. I am open to suggestions and hope someone can help.

Here's hoping

Maureen

hi I have the same machine and I found the needles were my problen I can only use schemtz needles also check your bobbins that could also cause this problem

sewcrazyforcats  
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:43:49 AM(UTC)

I'm having the same problem. I've adjusted the tention too. I have a Brother PE 700. I only use the needles and bobbins perscribed by the User's Manual. I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong.

marsuz  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 12:55:20 AM(UTC)

The first thing I would do is set the machine back to default.  This is where the machine was when it was new.  If that dosn't work then go the the Brothers home page and go to help and check Q/A section.  If that dosn't work then I would pack the machine up, take it to a Brother dealer and scream for help.

The only time my machine does that is when I am not paying attention and drop the bobbin in the wrong way.

Marge

mputzier  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:34:07 AM(UTC)

This is an old thread (no pun intended), but I bet it still sees a lot of traffic.

I embroider almost exclusively on satin or the super thin, moisture wicking material they use for golf shirts.  Tension is an ongoing battle.

The one thing I have learned over the years is to make cleaning your bobbin step #1, especially if everything was going just fine before.  Then, and only then, should you start adjusting tension. 

I say this because the smallest amount of junk can really through things off.  If you spend a bunch of time working on tension, you may end up worse off then before!  :)

pattiann  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 12:34:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Very true, and often overlooked when in a panic.  I remove the entire needle plate and clean the area around the bobbin case as well after every project, whether it be machine embroidery or machine sewing.

Should there ever be a reason for changing the tension of the top thread, do so with the presser foot down.

ssimpson1  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:49:17 AM(UTC)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That was my problem and you gave me a solution. My machine is new and I had been so frustrated with it because the bobbin thread was showing on the top. I took your info and worked it out.

Thanks again!

Suzanne