Notification

Icon
Error

Options
gmuqueenie  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2008 10:36:12 PM(UTC)

I think I missed this in machine embroidery 101...

When I trim the jump stitches my designs unravel.  What am I missing?

P.S. LOVE this forum!

jalcumbrack  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:58:56 AM(UTC)

Hi Meghan,

How soon   are you trimming them? Are you waiting until the design is completely finished, or are you trimming as you go? There could be a few reasons for this happening,

1. Have the designs been professionally digitized? Sometimes a design that is not can have "issues" ,not because they are bad digitizers but because they are just learning and sometimes may not get enough what I like to call "locking" stitches in there. That being when you see the needle moving up and down in the same place for a few stitches or even more than a few, This locks the stitches in there a bit so they don't come apart.

2. Are you trimming too close to the threads and possibly trimming something other than just the jump threads? I know I have had this happen to me a few times, just when you think it is alright then I trim too close to the design and poof, I have trimmed to close, and it has unraveled on  me.

My best solution that I use is the fabric paint sticks. Not only will you not have to trim the jump threads but they will just plain disappear within the design. However they can get sort of pricey,for those of us who are watching our pennies these days. If you could post a photo in the media area under challenges and advice, it would help a lot to try and diagnose this problem for you. Also maybe someone else has some other bit of wisdom to share as well.

I hope this helps a little . Big Smile

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:28:13 AM(UTC)

Judy is right, trimming too close can be a problem.  It can be a digitizing error, but is most likely a trim mishap.

When I trim too close, I use a glue like Aleene's Flexible Stretchable Fabric Glue.  I just put a dot on the offending spot, and I know it will be washable and take most wear and tear. 

I love this forum too.  It gives everyone a place to ask questions and respond with multiple answers to the same question.  What works for me, may not work for you, etc. 

Speaking of cuts, check out my Cutwork Blog I enjoyed doing the blog and hope you will like it too.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:41:21 AM(UTC)

By the way (BTW) - Do consider uploading your photos in the forums. 

It is simple, just start out in a "reply" or "new post" and the Menu Bar has a snippet of film (between the tree and smiley face).  Click that film strip and follow the prompts, it is really easy and quick.

pattiann  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:08:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

gmuqueenie, are you trimming the back and front or just the front?  I only trim the front and have not had an unraveling problem. 

If the jumps (back) are long enough for little fingers or jewelry to catch on, I do trim those, but no closer than 1/2" from the tie-off (final) stitch.

When in doubt, another product to stop or prevent raveling is Fray Check.

Best wishes.

Pattiann

debgamble  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:03:49 AM(UTC)

Thanks for this question and answers.  I too was wondering about the back jump stitches.  I always try to catch the stray jump stitches on the front but have been hesitant on the back ones.  I usually try not to trim them if they're not going to be seen, or cover them up with fusible product. Thanks for the hints on fabric glue/paint/etc. for insurance.

Deb

marsuz  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:53:50 PM(UTC)

I just hate jump stitiches.  What I do is hold onto the thread untill it makes one pass and then trim.  I have also trimmed to close and got the bobbin thread, but that is another problem.  When working with anything that is bulky or spongey like Christmas tree skirts trim the thread at the top, never letting your sissors push the fabric down.  If you push even a little it will get the starting stich and then you will unravel.

Marge

pat71896  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:57:34 AM(UTC)

WOW!  I have always cut the jump stitches on the back, but some of these ideas are making me rethink that action.

I do cut away from the 'knot' area.  And, Fray Check is an excellent product for a misplaced cut.

Certainly, a long jump on a tote, for instance, would be cut because reaching into the tote might 'catch' on that thread.   Additionally, if your design is well digitized, those jump stitches can be buried under other stitches and generally not lengthy.  However, sometimes there is no other alternative.  I have noticed that a design might have a single color that stops and restarts several colors later.  The main reason for that would be to 'layer' the design. 

I do notice that I very seldom see short jumps between lines of text. 

I personally don't digitize, but the long jump does not make sense to me.   Perhaps one of our digitizers could help me here.

I would love hearing other thoughts on 'to cut or not cut the back jump stitches' and your reasoning for doing what you do.  What do you do?

gmuqueenie  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:48:04 AM(UTC)

Thank you all for the fabulous feedback, and so quickly at that!

My original question was referring specifically to the front jump stitches.  Even more specifically on words and the stitches between each letter.  I do trim rather close to each of the letters to eliminate the unsightly stray thread ends on the front of my design.  I'll work on posting a picture this evening. 

Thus far I have only used the fonts on my brother 2500 and a couple fonts from my floriani software.  I have not yet digitized from "scratch".  I am sure that will lead to a million posts of its own Stick out tongue

Keep on posting your responses! I just love getting the email notices that I have another response.

Thanks to all!

jalcumbrack  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:32:01 AM(UTC)

You are very welcome,that is why these forums are here, it is like having 250,000 experts at your door,LOL!(not that I am ) On the front stitches between letters, I simply use the fabric paint pens, not only does it save a lot of time,but you cannot even tell it is there.It solves two problems,having stitches come loose, and having a lot of them to trim. However, if you still want to trim, then the suggestion of the fray check is the best alternative to make sure things don't come loose.

Judy

P.S. Be sure to check out all the new blogs, there are many tips and tricks you will learn from them. everything from Embroidery to note cards! Isn't Ann the Gran the Best!! We get to discuss anything in here( well almost,ha!)

marsuz  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:03:29 AM(UTC)

When I do quilts or anything else that is going to be lined in any way I don't cut any jump stitches on the back.  On towels I try and clean up the back as good as possible.  On shirts or any garments I just cut the long ones for these will interfere with putting them on.

I think that the less cutting on the back is better.

Marge

annthegran  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:56:00 AM(UTC)

A well digitized design will not unravel when yhou clip jump stitches. That said, we know all designs aren't well digitized. I clip jumpstitches on the front between thread changes. I clip jumpstitches on the back, but I don't trim them; I leave the little threads hanging. If you're having a problem with designs unraveling, dot the back with some kind of sealer. The one Pat recomments will do the job. Or, you can iron a piece of soft iron-on stabilizer on the back of the design.  I address jump stitches in this week's blog, but basically for digitizing. You might get something out of it, though.

pat71896  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:10:44 AM(UTC)

Thanks for this information.  It makes sense that the digitizer should be able to 'lock' (or whatever it is called) those stitches.  

I will look forward to your blog, I always learn so much from you,

gmuqueenie  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:27:31 AM(UTC)

GET OUT OF TOWN!  I got a post from ANN THE GRAN! Big Smile  That's it, I am officially addicted to this forum.

I am most certainly going to try out the spot of sealer on the back of my designs. 

I have also been interested in ironing on a soft something to the back of my wearable designs just to clean things up a bit and overall produce a higher quality product.  What a great idea this will be as it will also help with the "sealing" of the designs.  Is there a specific item on ATG you would recommend?

pat71896  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:01:45 AM(UTC)

Well, Maghan, Get out of town yourself!  Ann happens to be a person who loves embroidery and sharing with her friends!

I rolled on the floor laughing at your post!!!

Speaking of Get Outta Town . . . anyone who must evacuate, like our Texas Friends, if you cannot take your computer, put it in your dishwasher on the dry cycle and close the door.  Your computer and anything else that fits, will be dry and most likely safe when you return. 

Best wishes to the evacuees, where every you are.

annthegran  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:32:57 AM(UTC)

Meghan (I'm so happy to see someone who knows how to spell "Meghan," BTW) I'd recommend our textured nylon cutaway but cutaways don't come in iron-ons. I use soft fusible interfacing. I buy it by the yard for my regular sewing so I always have plenty on hand. If you don't sew, visit a Joann's store and buy a couple of yards.

Pat, they should unplug the dishwasher, or, better yet, throw all the circuit breakers except fot the refrigerator. We've been getting outer bands for Ike all afternoon, and these are WAY outer bands and it's been really nasty, wind, heavy rain, hail and twisters. I can't imagine how it's going to be on the Texas coast. Well, unfortunately I CAN imagine because I've been through hurricanes when we lived on Miami Beach, but you know what I mean.

pat71896  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:43:35 AM(UTC)

When I first heard this tip, they only said to use the dishwasher.  Being in San Diego, I would not know such information.  Thanks, Ann for the remainder of the input.  The circuit breaker makes great sense.

I am not in an earthquake prone area, but everyone in California gets PSA's regularly reminding us to have emergency provisions and plans.   They make sure to let us know that we are responsible for our own selves until emergency services can take over.  I feel for New Orleans, because they taught us a difficult lesson.  Those people suffered so much.

You are almost an expert at emergency situations!

jalcumbrack  
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:59:23 AM(UTC)

Wow Ann you guys are really getting it over there, we have had hardly anything over here, a bit of wind and a few rainstorms but nothing else. All the bands must have come over your way. Take care, if you hear something like a train very nearby and you don't have a rail track close enough to hear it, head for the bathroom!! Have Bill toss a mattress over the two of you!

Yes we were really worried about Ike,everyone was afraid it would get into the Gulf and just sit there or move back to Florida like the other one did. I have a brother in Texas so called them the other day to see what they were going to do, and they were already packing to leave. So will call them again to make sure they are alright still. Yes Ann Hurricanes are no fun! Been through a few myself,they are scary!

Take care all of you over that way!!

Judy