Notification

Icon
Error

Options
nmoore1965@msn.com  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:30:27 PM(UTC)

I have been asked to create a label for the Prayer Shawl Ministry in our church. The shawls are knitted or crocheted and the label would need to be light weight and soft. Any ideas out there?

jalcumbrack  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:59:21 PM(UTC)

Nancy,

I have only made labels for quilts,and I used cotton or a light canvas like fabric for them,with some Ann The Gran Soft Stabilizer as a backing,wss on top and the same fabric for the back of the label.Then outline it with a satin stitch. I guess it will depend on what you are going to be putting on the label. I have used a small flower design in the corner,then some lettering.I try not to put too much on a label.Are you going to be sewing them to the article from corner to corner?

I will be interested to see how many ideas are out there for this as well. I am guessing they will have be durable as well.

borden47  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 1:21:10 AM(UTC)

Hello Nancy,

As Judy, I am also do quilt labels.  I am assuming the label will be relatively small since it is being applied to the inside of the knitted/crocheted item?

I am a muslin freak.  I make my quilt labels from muslin (usually white) and trim it with the fabric of the quilt.  So, for a shawl label, the muslin would work well too.  Wash prior to embroidering (of course......).  Lighter weight muslin gets very soft.  I thought of organza as well but if they are being embroidered, may be more trouble than a label would be worth.

The label could be made from a piece of  fabric, stabilizer backing, embroidered, folded in half (right sides together) and sewn on 3-3/4 sides to size required; leaving opening for turning, turned outside right (!!!!), press and sew lightly to shawl.

Good Luck with your project.

Joan/NJ

jalcumbrack  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:47:24 AM(UTC)

Great idea Joan! I will file that one away in my memeory bank! Muslin is a great choice.

I am waiting to hear even more idea's like this.These would also be great for baby blankets because of the softness.

Good Luck with your project and let us know how you did it and post a photo in the projects area for us to see.Smile

borden47  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:32:15 AM(UTC)

Yeah and muslin is cheaper than Kona (said I was cheap!).  Love Kona for quilts but muslin works fine with labels.  I'm drawn to the feedsack era anyhow and muslin falls into that.  I also love to embroider on floursack towels. 

Joan/NJ

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:54:58 AM(UTC)

Excellent ideas. There are so many good ones in this site!

Pat

pat71896  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:18:28 AM(UTC)

I would so like to find some of those flour sack towels.  I have looked for them here in southern California.  This is not a flour sack area....

Gas is $4.50 and I am enjoying my machine as a wonderful way to spend an evening.

Pat

jalcumbrack  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:59:48 PM(UTC)

Pat,

I can get you some flour sack towels. I love them for days of the week redwork.

Let me know and I can send you some.I think they are $5.00 for 5 or 6 of them. I just got some the other day.Smile

borden47  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:13:38 PM(UTC)

Pat,

Between the gas and the upcoming heat, I have dragged out my huge sewing projects for this weekend and pulled out my embroidery projects as well.  Will be staying put this weekend!

Pat, I have purchased Aunt Martha floursack towels on HSN.com - surprisingly enough Home Shopping Network has a very large selection of sewing supplies along with sewing machines (Brother and Singer).  I check their website at least once a month for new ideas.  Never watch the show, but I love their website for crafts.

I also love Martha Stewart floursack towels which I purchased in K-Mart.  Was walking past an end cap and saw them - blew my mind.

I also have picked them up in Marshall's, T. J. Maxx, Ross  and Home Goods stores.  These are hit and miss.  Ohhhhh, Ohhhhh and once, to my surprise, I found a large pack in a Rite-Aid Drug Store!!  Stood there shocked.  Like I was proud of my find.

Amazon.com and Vermont Country Store.com as well.

If I match these floursack towels with a towel topper (depending on who I am giving and if more for deco....), I cut the towel in half width-wise and the cut end (I usually zig-zag stitch this end just 'cause) goes into the towel topper part and never shows.  For myself, I leave whole because I utilize these towels.

Like Judy, I love these towels for redwork.

Joan/NJ

jalcumbrack  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 10:04:25 PM(UTC)

Yes Joan i do that too,they make a very nice gift that way for just about anything.My step-daughter just loves them.She says it is the only way she can get really nice towels for her kitchen that actually match !LOL I love doing them too,they are so easy. with all the new red work out there,they are really cute. Also vintage designs work real nice on them as well,as well as heirloom.

Thanks Joan for the tip on HSN ,I always looked at their jewelry but never would have guessed they would have that sort of thing. I quit watching that since I don't work the midnight shift  any longer,LOL.