Notification

Icon
Error

Options
sdrayton  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2008 3:24:36 PM(UTC)

In response to the person who wrote they are addicted to free designs, it's like collecting recipes. It doesn't matter how many you have, you never have enough, although you will never use them all.  However it is relaxing, 'veging out', browsing around the internet, collecting ideas as well as free and bought designs.  I think I do this more than I actually sew the designs!

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 1:28:28 AM(UTC)

Gee, I totally agree with your observation about recipes, that is so right!!

For me, the collecting is about appreciating the beauty of the designs and knowing I have something I can call upon.  I began as a buyer because I did not find the 'freebies' originally.  I had no idea about sizes of the design, complexity or quality.  I remember trying "alphabets" before I knew the difference between "Monogram" and "keyboard fonts."  That was a frustrating experience.  I tried making words out of the monogram letters......

I do want to make one point here, and that is, be careful of the 'freebies.'  Perhaps 90% (guesstimate) are really nice.  But beware, there are some done by professionals but some done by well-meaning amateurs.  Those new digitizers need to learn their craft, but you need quality designs.

Digitizing is so more than just putting stitches on fabric.  You need to understand placement, density and directional stitching to mention just a few.

If you look at the designs here at Ann's, you will notice that the ones for sale have a statement - "Professionally Digitized."  That means that Ann knows the quality of the digitizer.  The freebies here are done by good beginners, and they are donated because that digitizer is pleased to show off their work. 

When you are more experienced, you will be able to recognize a good digitizer from a newbie.  Unfortunately, the best way to see that quality is to do a 'test sew out.' 

Just the same, I love those freebies.  I love ME for so many reasons, like meeting people who are interested in the same thing I am, this great craft.

Pat

ritamae46  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 9:10:14 AM(UTC)

Have you found bunnycup.com yet?  They have lots of free designs and lots of entire sets that have been retired, which are also free.  Cute things there too.

Rita

jalcumbrack  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 9:19:47 PM(UTC)

Smile Thanks Rita,

I love having new sites to add to my list as well. I love to browse through them all.Also in response to Pat's statement about designs generaly speaking,I have also bought designs that didn't sew out properly,the nice part about that is most of the time all you have to do is send an e-mail to their contact address and most are willing to help you "fix" the problem.

Pat is also right,Always do that test sew out.It tells you so much more than just if the design is going to sew out well,it can also tell  you what stabilizers to use,maybe that particular design isn't quite right for a article of clothing. Do I have anything in my designs that is comperable.Do I need to re-size it for what I want to use it on? A test sew has saved me so many times.

Happy Stitching!Smile

jalcumbrack  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:40:54 AM(UTC)

Smile Rita;

I just jumped onto the bunnycup site and you are right they are very cute.Wonderful for childrens clothing,or a baby blanket.Have you sewn any of them out yet? If so tell us about them and how they worked for you.

Thanks,

Happy Stitching! Smile