Notification

Icon
Error

Options
mjb125m  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:53:27 AM(UTC)

Can someone please tell me why designs work great untill you get to the outline, then it is not uniform with the designs. I have that problem with the free ones and also the ones I buy. Is there something that I can do to correct this?Sad

Thank you

Mary

lollieconn  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 2:03:07 AM(UTC)

Mary,

I am a newbie, but hopefully this will help.  I have found that I have to be VERY careful when I hoop the material NOT to stretch the material as I hoop it, (especially if it is knit, example, polo shirts).  Sometimes sugestions given tell you to hoop and then grab the material and pull it to make sure it is tight, I find that this doesn't work for me, it always makes the outline not conform to the design.  So, I carefully lay material on FIRM flat surface (NOT an ironing board), making sure the grain of the fabric is straight and hoop, then I tighten the screws as tight as I can hand tighten and sew out the design.  Also, if I use an iron-on stablisher I am careful to just place the iron on top and "press", not sliding the iron around at all.  I don't know if these suggestions will help, but I sure hope so, Good Luck & please let us know!  Sincerely, Lollie in Oregon

mjb125m  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 5:21:34 AM(UTC)

Lollie, that is the best information that I have heard since I started emb. I just finised a design and it is so neat  Thank you so much. It is not always the older ones, like  me that know the most. ONLY KIDDING. I will use your suggestion from  now on.

Mary

lollieconn  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 11:17:09 AM(UTC)

Good to hear Mary!!!!!  Now there's "no stopping ya!!!!"  (I'm warning you it IS addictive!!)  Lollie

pat71896  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 1:25:32 PM(UTC)

That is often an issue regarding stabilizing.  Do take a moment to read (and print for future reference) my blog on Stabilizers.

I know it has almost always been my experience, 7 years and counting, that strong stabilizers are most important.  Lollie is very correct, be careful that you do not stretch fabric because that is the same problem as under stabilizing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of machine embroidery.  ME is addicting and fun!

lollieconn  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:36:10 AM(UTC)

Mary,

Just wondering how things are going?  Pat's advice about the stabilizer is most excellent, I'm glad to see her post!  Do you digitize your designs?  If so what software do you use?

Sincerely,

Lollie in Oregon

mjb125m  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:59:58 PM(UTC)

I have been doing better on the outlines since I have not been pulling the fabric so tight. The interfacing may work on some projects, but the one I had was much to old and it was falling apart, so I threw it away.

Mary

pat71896  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:27:04 AM(UTC)

Good for you Mary, sometimes tossing an item is just plain good for the soul!  If it were not falling apart, a quilting charity group could have been another user of that fabric. 

I am happy you found the 'right' fabric tension for your project.   The fact of the matter is that there is no right or wrong answer for any ME issue.  There are multiple methods and you need the one that works best for you. 

Pat