Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Tofit  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 10:48:18 AM(UTC)

They say silk has a bit of magic in it. Silkworms spin a cocoon and it gets harvested as a single thread that's twined up. Why does silk have magic in it you ask? Well it's a little bit scientific, when silk comes in contact with moisture it has a slight electric current. So maybe it's more science then magic, but in my book that means it's got some power to it. Silk threads make shinny embroidery with it's brilliant luster.

I've been searching for spooled silk thread, but all I can find is loose silk threads and imitation silk
pat71896  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:54:38 AM(UTC)

I just saw this posting, sorry that I have been delayed in response.

I would assume that you have found some spools of silk thread by now. Etsy has a number of shops that carry them in various colors. I do agree that silk will enhance your work very nicely. Etsy sites noted that this thread is used for a lot of craft things, some of which are - jewelry, tassels (great idea!), pompoms, fly fishing tying and micro-stippling to name a few.

I tried to find out what the weight of the thread is but could not find that answer. Silk is likely closer to 60# than 40# but it would depend on the actual spool.
Robertbarnes  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 2:42:31 AM(UTC)

If you are looking for silk thread for sewing machines, do not allow my mistakes. First, examine whether it is possible to use these threads, because each machine is designed for a different material.
sewingheather  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:57:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Robertbarnes Go to Quoted Post
If you are looking for silk thread for sewing machines, do not allow my mistakes. First, examine whether it is possible to use these threads, because each machine is designed for a different material.

I love Superior's 100 wt Kimono silk, which I use frequently. I usually use a close match of Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin. Yet I will still use Bottom Line in the bobbin usually - for instance, if I just don't have the right color silk, I sometimes use Bottom Line in the top to quilt with instead of silk.
Seems to work almost as well.
caywltz60  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 5:11:04 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: sewingheather Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Robertbarnes Go to Quoted Post

I love Superior's 100 wt Kimono silk, which I use frequently. I usually use a close match of Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin. Yet I will still use Bottom Line in the bobbin usually - for instance, if I just don't have the right color silk, I sometimes use Bottom Line in the top to quilt with instead of silk.
Seems to work almost as well.

I agree! Silk threads are the best - shiny and fashionable!