Notification

Icon
Error

Options
jheron1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:15:29 PM(UTC)

Hi,  I'm new to embroidering.  I am using white thread in the bobbin.  At times, the white is showing instead of the color in the design.  I don't know why this is doing this.  Thanks for the help.

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:25:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Welcome to the wonderful world of embroidery....sometimes it is like the nursery rhyme: once there was a little girl with a little curl right in the middle of her forehead.  When she was good, she was very very good and when she was bad, she was horrid!  Some days are just like that. 

First, check the manual for your embroidery machine to make sure you are using the correct weight of machine embroidery bobbin thread.  

Second, make sure the bobbin thread is feeding in the correct direction from the bobbin spool.

Third, make sure to have the presser foot up when thread any sewing or embroidering machine.  Having the foot up opens the upper tension feature of the machine so the thread can properly enter this feature of the machine.

Fourth, any adjustment to the upper tension should be done with the presser foot down. 

If all the above has been your SOP (standard operating proceedure), then the bobbin case tension may need to be adjusted.  Before doing this, test the design again with a different fabric, new needle and correct stabilizer.

To adjust the bobbin tension, mark the top of one end of the screw slot with a tiny dab of nail polish so you will know where the original setting is.  Then move the screw just a tiny bit to the right for tight or left for loose.  Tighter will pull the top thread slightly to the bottom of the design.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:14:16 AM(UTC)

May I call you "J"?  Cool

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a few pictures must be worth a little more.

Check my blog: http://www.annthegran.co...s-july-3-2008.aspx  for the information in a photo demo. 

Tension is not just a headache - pun intended - but something that must be learned.  For instance, your machine may like one thread above another - Madeira versus Floriiani or your machine may perform better with different sizes of needles. 

You are about to venture on a beautiful and fun journey.  Ask a lot of questions here at the Forum. AnnTheGran is loaded with people who care and share.

Read as much as you find that relates to what the issue is at hand.  And, above all, know that you have many helpers.  ATG is the only place I know of on the Net where you can get this type of forum question and response. 

Here is your first lesson.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pattiann  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:51:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)