Notification

Icon
Error

Options
gfelling  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:10:33 AM(UTC)

Can someone please tell me how to use sticky stablizer and not get the sticky residue on the needle causing the threat to break over and over and over?

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:50:25 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I had this problem a few years ago and found that using Titanium coated needles will eliminate the problem.

This coating keeps the needle cooler (no softening of the adhesive) and also prolongs the life of the needle so you do not have to change the needle as often.  The Organ/Diamond Needle Company suggests their needles perform 8 times longer than the non coated needle.

I now use this type of needle for sewing as well.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/6622-organ-15x1stpd-hax1stpd-perfect-durability-titaniu

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2014 2:01:21 AM(UTC)

Goodness, I just saw this question, sorry to have missed it. 

Here are a couple of things that I have noticed.  These may or may not be the exact answers, but your issues (there are actually 2 of them) are some of my personal favorites/frustrations.

Starting with the sticky stabilizer -

• Adhesive stabilizer (AS) has a tendency to age very quickly.  I encourage you to buy as small a portion as you can use in a 6 month (approximate) size. 
  • Any adhesive goes bad. 
  • Some AS is just not good.  I have used some that was not even good for using as fly paper. 
  • Most times I prefer to pin my project, then baste it before beginning. 
  • AS tends to gum up your needle, sometimes, even the good ones will do that occasionally.

Then there is the breaking thread -I am not sure I am the best one to answer this one - I have this problem as well.  I am told -

• Change the needle, it could have a very small nick somewhere on it.
  • You may be using a needle that is too small for the thread.  As a general rule, embroidery calls for #12 needle.
  • Thread could be old, if you got it on sale, it is likely to have been on the shelf too long and the vendor needs to move it out.
  • The thread could be just bad. See my blog on the care and feeding of thread.
  • I really prefer Madeira threads but I do have other threads for various reasons.  Madeira works best for me but some other people swear by different brands.
  • Bargain thread is not a bargain - usually.  There seems to be some up and comers who are making embroiderers look twice.  Your machine may prefer one thread to another.  Yes, Virginia, machines can be that tempermental.

I hope you get more responses to these questions.  There are certainly more tips to be entered on these issues.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer