Notification

Icon
Error

Options
debgamble  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:50:51 AM(UTC)

I currently have a Brother Innovis 4000D embroidery machine, but am thinking about multi-needle machine.  Do any of you have one or can you give me some advice???

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2013 12:21:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I don't have one, but if I were in the market, I would visit Yahoo! specific groups for the various brands.  This along with checking local dealers to see if they even have a model set up at their shop as well as staff who knows how to operate and service the multi-needle machine.

When looking at reviews, note how long the individual has owned and used the machine.  Sometimes new owners are too quick to bless their purchase.

Best wishes for a successful journey.

debgamble  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2013 2:12:06 AM(UTC)

Thank you Pattiann, I'll check out reviews on yahoo.  Going to get a demo of Babylock 6 & 10 needle machines next week sometime.  Will do some research in the meantime.  Deb

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 3:16:20 AM(UTC)

Deb - Check Yahoo Forums for a Babylock multi needle group.  Read through as much of the info as you have time.

Ask them something like "I need practical information for the multineedle machine.Please respond off the forum so you can speak about the pros and especially the cons." 

You really need people who have been using their machines.  It is incredible the number of buyers who are 'casual' users of these expensive machines.

Just an FYI, the 15 needle commercial machines cost LESS that the 10 needle Brother.  Interesting, huh?  I have a commercial machine and plenty of experience both good and bad. 

That 10 needle Brother goes for between 11k and 14k depending on how good the dealer is about getting every dime out of you.  After all, they are in business to make money.  They also will keep throwing in 'goodies.'  Brother, as well as others, are bound by contracts with their vendors to never sell for less than $X.  However, they can throw in anything that they want to seal the deal.

I wish I could go back to when I bought my machine and know what I know now.  For instance, I was inquiring about the promotion and the payments and the next thing I knew, I had bought a machine.  AND, after discussion with some others at that store, I found I was not the only one.  The dealer is the highest grossing in the western USA.  He is a tough cookie to get past without a sale.

Take someone with you and instruct them to keep saying things like "remember, your husband said. . . " or "you agreed that you would need to sleep on such a large purchase. . . " or "You still have that appointment with . . . "  have them say anything to get you out of the clutches of a pressing sales person.  Have them call someone, anyone and give the phone to you and just keep saying "OK, OK, OK"  Then say to the salesperson, I need to leave now.  THEN LEAVE.  You can always come back.

It is difficult to watch their demo and not get excited.  Try to see multiple demonstrations if at all possible.  This is a large purchase. 

Oh, and BTW, don't forget that you cannot just take your new machine in for a 'tune up.'  They have to come to your home.  When it is out of warrantee, I just spend $400 for a service call. 

Again, I just wish I had this info when I was considering a new machine.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

debgamble  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:15:53 AM(UTC)

Thank you so much Pat, I was hoping you would post something here since I know you've been doing this for a long time and are in the business.  As a matter of fact, I just purchased your embroidery pricing spreadsheet and it is very comprehensive - thanks.  I'm just thinking about doing very small business for some friends of my son with a small boutique, so have time to decide if I want to invest in a machine.  My local dealer is a BabyLock rep, so I know what you mean about the set pricing.  Thanks so much and I'll keep you posted on my quest.  Deb

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:06:09 AM(UTC)

You are welcome, Deb.  As an avid embroiderer (not just my nick-name) I do wish I had some information before I spend money.  Don't get me started on software unless you are really wanting a lot of info!

Another thing that I actually did determine was that having a multi-needle machine was not necessarily the answer if you are starting a business.  Two used higher end machines are worth their weight in gold.  Don't forget, your machine, no matter how pretty, can/may/will have issues. 

I do know an embroiderer who has 3 multi-needle machines and she says she runs between them fixing stops, broken thread and changing projects.  And, she does about 40-50 orders per day.  Unless you are doing only designs, (which I have not found to be a hot item) you will be using just one or two colors on the majority of work. 

Let me count the ways that you need to be thinking about (I HIGHLY recommend you find a 'Business Plan' book/document/Internet instructions):

1)     When you are considering starting a business, you need to determine how much of your own money you really want to invest for the start up.  Most of us are not in a position to get funding.  Furthermore, funding usually means interest as well as pay back.  You need to discuss your financial situation with someone knowledgeable.  Costs add up quickly - believe me.  (Some places offer free financing but that payment is there come rain or shine - and, if you miss a payment by 1 day, they back charge you all the interest at prevailing rate!!  I have a story on that too!)

2)     How much time are you able to devote to your business?  Are you looking to really look toward a full time, real income? or part time, supplemental income?  This is really important to carefully consider.  Many people don't realize the time commitment a business really can be.  Do you really know how busy you already are?  Do you enjoy your free time?  Are you willing and able to be working long hours as needed?  (I find that after about 10 hours, I make so many errors that it is not worth it.)

3)     I have seen many articles that say things like:  "I was taking the machine off the truck and all these people asked me about getting items. . . . "  I suspect that these claims are: 

a)     A.  True

b)     B.  True but exaggerated

)        C. Unlikely

d)     D. A recollection that is false

e)     Some people are up and running quickly, some not.  What is the difference? - I wish I knew.

4)     I could go on, but a professional accountant (not one fresh out of college) may be able to steer you very well. 

I don't mean to discourage your ambition, but I want you to be practical.  I have been doing this since January 2005 and when it is good, it is terrific.  But there are other times as well. 

I have tried multiple times to get a forum started for embroidery entrepreneurs, but I cannot seem to be able to keep it going.  I suspect that embroiderers feel that sharing is detrimental to their business.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Sharing is for supporting each other.  If you become a super star from someone else's information, good for you.  That is unlikely.  Furthermore, each person will put his/her own spin on an idea, it is called free enterprise.

Hope this helps!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer.

debgamble  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:14:39 PM(UTC)

Thanks again Pat for such great insight.  I will probably hold off right now on a multi-needle and see what items I can do on my current machine.  My projects would be just cozies or mugs, so can't justify going big right now.  You've given me a lot of information to absorb and a lot of good advice.  Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and have a wonderful holiday season.

bjackson5  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:24:56 AM(UTC)

This is the one we use -- The ButterFly B-1501B/T.
It is very ideal for most embroidery jobs and we can attest to its quality! 
Read about it here: http://www.butterflyemb....idery-machine-b-1501.php 
Its high quality, very ideal for start ups or existing commercial embroidery shops even. We love it!!
jlockyer  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 7:43:12 AM(UTC)

Hi,

I just purchased to Babylock ten needle and I love using the machine. It is very easy to thread and use.  The difficult part is decising on which software to use with the machine.  I chose the Bernina software  7 because I am new to embroidery and needed to take on going software classes.  If you are already using software then your learning curve will be much easier.  Also, rememger to budget money for hoops and a full line or two of thread.  I really like the multi needle monster hoops!  Hope this helps, Joyce