Notification

Icon
Error

Options
pat71896  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:54:41 AM(UTC)

As I was working on a project the other day, I was thinking that I had resolved the issue I was having on the thread tension.  It still was not right.

Being the most frustrated person I know, I kept thinking - machine, just what do you want from me???  The machine was silent because it keeps its secrets that way.

Then I realized that when I solve (or think I have solved) an issue, sometimes I forget that it can be a COMBINATION of things, not just one correction.  Duh!

I have always kept a 'notebook' of one sort or another but recently started using Word for multiple reasons.  For one thing, I can search for key words to get my answers more quickly.  Here are some more reasons that I keep a notebook still (I have been embroidering for 12 years):

• Even the most simple of things can be a problem, such as using a different color than black for my outlines.  The reason is that I feel like black is SHOUTING and I will normally use navy blue or brown for a slightly softer look. 
  • I tend to have tension problems and since I have a 15 needle machine, keeping the needle reviews separate for each number is important.  Just because needle #4 is not working, does not mean that my machine is not working.  I can check out #4 at a more convenient time.
  • I do forget things that seem to be simple enough.  For instance, I like my designs to 'pop' off the fabric but the design calls for a dull color.  I need to remember that the numbers are not chiseled in granite.
  • I do try to be sure I can understand those notes.  Have you ever gone to an important lecture and taken notes and been unable to understand them??? Going the line, I am at the head of the que and it is a long one!

There are many more reasons to keep that diary/notebook.  I even keep the date of the issue.  Sometimes after issues find their way to me, someone gives me a better method and that original note may/may not be useful any more.  Or it may be useful under different circumstances.

If you have embroidered for more than one day, keep those notes.  With information comming at us daily at lightening speed, it helps to have a place to find answers.

And, if I may toot my own horn, I also refer back to my OWN BLOGS.  You did not really think I remember everything do you?  I research my blogs and find ideas along with my own adventures to write for you.  But I still need a place to review.  In the case of the blogs, I keep the whole document with its appropriate title.  This blog is my personal favorite: http://community.anntheg...ts-ooops-it-slipped.aspx

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

ldiane  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:50:47 AM(UTC)

I recommend your advice to other me stitchers. You not only give advice but also show us in images. I have learned so much from the AnntheGran bloggers & the forum.  I also reread blogs.  Your comment regarding keeping notes is one of my best advice to other me's.  It saves a lot of time & distress to know the exact placement in the hoop. Thanks so much!

Diane

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:38:45 AM(UTC)

Thank you so much, Diane.  When I am working on a topic, I so often learn a great deal as I go.  I pass that information to you and other readers.  It is my philosophy that we cannot make all the errors in the universe, so when I come across something I think is helpful for me (I embroider too!) I hope someone else will find it helpful as well. I try to do a good job on the 'tags' as well so you can find it when you actually need it.

You and all my readers make my blogs so much more meaningful for me.  I love doing them and a response like yours is my reward.  Thank you, thank you!

I get excited when I do a new blog.  Some of them are (IMHO) gems and some maybe not so much.  This week I am doing a blog on Toile.  Then I added in a little something about Breakfast at Tiffany's - the movie.  Would you believe that came out in 1961?  I still love it.  I am sounding like my mother (WHO BETTER to sound like??) when I say - "THAT was a Movie!!"  It will be available on Friday, July 26 at - http://community.anntheg...spx#sthash.4G2E3rtm.dpbs

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer