Notification

Icon
Error

Options
pattiann  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 12:05:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Sometimes we tend to go a little overboard when a case (some are very pretty) containing a large collection of ME thread or sewing thread goes on sale.  Even single spools can entice us to fill up the shopping cart, and sales are a good thing. Yes

Now, if you sew or embroider daily, stitch large designs/projects or have a business the collection can dwindle.  However, some of us start out strong with good intentions and then life's precedence takes a turn and our interests (instead of the thread supply) dwindles! Hmm

But, you want to take care of your expensive investment so it does not have to be replaced when you get your groove back. Cool

If you live in a dry climate, thread can become brittle.  Same for exposure to sunlight*.  And, unless you live in a bubble, household dust can collect on the outer layer of the spool.

Air-tight storage can help eliminate drying out (or, put in baggy then place in fridge crisper** if there is room) do same for wss stabilizer.  I happen to have my work area and supplies in my basement, which is a little more humid than the rest of the house. 

Craft storage units can also help protect thread from sunlight and dust. 

Peel off the external layer of thread on spools that have already been stored in the open, then place where it will be dust free.

I test my thread by giving it the snap test to make sure it is not brittle before I use it.   

More suggestions and tips welcomed!

*There is a type of ME thread that does not fade in the sun.  I don't have any of this, but would store it the same way.

** Unless the manufacturer suggests otherwise.

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 5:54:19 AM(UTC)

Good Points:

Here are a few that I have experienced:

• Be careful of the 'sale,' the thread may be past its shelf life.  I prefer to buy where I know my dealer is turning over their thread quickly.
  • Unless you are going to make a shift, stay with either Rayon or Polyester threads and avoid combining them in a single design.
  • **When purchasing quantities such as in a general/generic group offering, be aware that some of the threads may never be used.  I actually recommend buying collections such as kits designed for specific projects.  For one thing, these are organized by colorists (yes there is a job like this) and if you look at the link, you will see where the colors come from and how they work together.  Don't start me on Hues and Saturation. . . . 

**  When you look at these colors, you can see the Easter Eggs within them; AND, with 20 designs along with the thread, it is hard to go wrong on these - 

I really could go on and on with this subject.  Thanks to Pattiann for bringing up this subject.  Destroying a project with bad thread is very heart breaking because you will seldom see the true issue until near the end of the work. 

I hope others will add to this forum discussion, even newbies can add things they are seeing.  Seasoned embroiderers will remember a situation where frustration was very high.  Save the sanity of someone, add your 3 cents worth.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

marsuz  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:40:10 PM(UTC)

When I first started ME I bought a collection of thread.  The price was wonderful and I got 180 spools for less than $150.00. What a deal, I ended up throwing most of them away and the few that I kept I used for piecing.

You get what you pay for, cheap thread is just that.  It takes a long long time for GOOD thread to go bad.  In fact I have some sewing thread that is more than 30 years old and it sews fine.  You may ask how I know, it is on wooden spools!!!!!

I use two brands of thread,  Maderia Rayon and RA Poly.  Most of my embrodery is done with rayon and if I am doing some little kids things I may do them in poly.  I have mixed the thread in one project and never had a problem.  I have over 400 spools of embrodery thread and I never by a spool smaller that 1100 yards.  The colors I use the most I get in the 5000 yards cones.

Find out what works best for you and if your machine no matter the brand if it is giving you a fit it may be the thread.

Marge

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:23:42 AM(UTC)

I agree Marge, and you make a very valid and important point, (well several as a matter of fact, but for my response, here is one) that newbies do tend to purchase cheap thread.  It could be that they are in shock from the cost of this wonderful craft.  After all, getting started is an investment. 

I don't know how to get to them before they spend that money except to say if you know of someone who is getting the 'bug' to embroider, I encourage you to recommend AnnTheGran as the site to get informed before they buy.

I think that for ease of getting information and asking questions, no site does it better than AnnTheGran. 

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Using this site, you will hear from users who love to share their craft NOT a salesperson who puts on the PRESSURE! 

Did I talk too loudly?  Frankly, I don't think so. Learning and Sharing are Gifts!  Give someone one today!  Gift  Cool  Whisper   

pat71896  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:28:08 AM(UTC)

I am not sure what happened with the 'style' info in the middle of this document, it is probably because I did a cut/paste to make the words stand out.

Just the same, I don't like pushy salespersons!

pattiann  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:06:24 AM(UTC)

I believe you got your point across.  Do you want to edit out the gobbledygook?  Huh?

sweigand  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:52:59 PM(UTC)

Recently I purchased 60 large spools of Radiant rayon thread.  Once opened I see no way of securing the ends, which very easily unwind.  I put tiny rubber bands around some then ran out of bands.  Has anyone a suggestion for securing the ends of these threads?  thanks in advance for any help.

pattiann  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:36:38 PM(UTC)

You can use thread nets or tie off per Deborah Jones' blog.  Click on blogs in the directory bar near the top of any screen at ATG.  Here is a link to the blog - http://community.anntheg...spx#sthash.8YVRCHGN.dpbs