Notification

Icon
Error

Options
ld  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:55:05 PM(UTC)

Hope someone can help! I am trying to embroider a Christmas gift with my Brother 770pe in script on minky fabric, and each time, within the first letter or two, the upper thread breaks and the bobbin stitching underneath begins a birds nest on the underside. I am using sticky stabilizer underneath and washaway solvy on top. I am so worried about ruining the fabric. Any ideas on what to try differently? Thank you in advance!

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 5:00:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Look like you are new to ATG.  Welcome.

I do believe the problem is the type of needle you are using.  The combination of a regular embroidery machine needle and sticky stabilizer/temp spray adhesive cause gumming of the thread.  Sometimes you can only get one good stitch before the problem starts.

Switch to a Titanium coated machine embroidery needle and the gumming will cease to be a problem.  

The Titanium coating helps keep the needle cool while the regular type needle builds up heat that melts the adhesive into goo.  I have been using this brand http://www.allbrands.com...d-embroidery-ma for several years as it was then the only brand with the Titanium coating.  There are now other brands.  Just be sure to purchase machine embroidery and not sewing machine needles. 

It may be a good idea to clean the tension for the upper thread by "flossing" with a triple strands of thread that has been saturated with Sewer's Aid, which is also a lubricate.

Sewer's Aid can be found with the sewing notions.  The bottle looks very similar to Fray Check.  If you should have both of these products in your sewing/embroidery supplies be careful not to use the Fray Check when it is Sewer's Aid that is needed.  FC is like a glue where SA is a silicone lubricant.

You should be able to get Titanium coated needles at your local sewing machine dealer if your fabric store does not offer them.

Best wishes for may sucessful projects.

ld  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 8:09:13 AM(UTC)

Thank you so much for your reply! I am new to ATG but have already learned a lot from all of you. I will try swapping out my needle, that makes sense!