Notification

Icon
Error

Options
kparrish  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:35:50 AM(UTC)

Does anyone know a trick to remove sticky back stabilizer? I am monograming pashmina scarves and I found a blog on this website with great info and it worked great. The only problem is I am having trouble getting all the stabilizer out of between the letters I am afraid I am going to pull the scarf. I have 14 of these to do so I could use all the hints I can get.

Thanks

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:49:31 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

You might try switching to a non-sticky back stabilizer and use a dissipating spray adhesive, such as Sulky.

Hoop the stabilizer and the set the hoop in a box.  Make a template resembling a frame and set that on top of the hoop, then spray.  This will help contain the over spray as well as keep the hoop glue-free.

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 3:23:55 AM(UTC)

You might try using a cotton ball saturated with alcohol.  Alcohol takes a lot of things off different fabrics. 

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

grammy410  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:35:12 AM(UTC)

"Hi",K,   I went to a Jennie Haskins' conference last week and the representative talked about this very thing.  She said that most wash away stabilizers will have a little residue as they react with the minerals in the water.  So-o, the harder the water, the more the problem.  She said to add Calgon, hair cream rinse, or some other product that will help take the hardness out of the water and the filmy residue will completely disappear as it is supposed to.  She also said to rinse it more than once so that the second rinsing can take out what might be left in the water of the first rinsing.  Good luck with this,  I tried it with a project and it worked well.

pattiann  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:28:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Thank- you for sharing.  I was thinking sticky back and wash away are two different products.  However, this two are now combined.  Some being iron - on.

Here are two videos at Sewing With Nancy.  One shows how to use the iron- on.  I believe it is featured in part two.  http://m.video.wpt2.org/program/sewing-nancy/?gclid=CMH3h8LO-LQCFYY7OgodOUsARA#episod

grammy410  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:44:48 PM(UTC)

To finish my comment - I just made a 'non-knit' yarn scarf using the sticky back wash away.  Very cool!!!