Notification

Icon
Error

Options
sunsnow22  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:53:39 AM(UTC)

I was given a tip that works great.  For those that have small projects that the back will now show, use used dryer sheets.  I press them and then use them as my backer.  Save money.  Recycle.

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:16:34 AM(UTC)

I agree with recycling.  I am a little skeptical if you are using something this light weight for stabilizer.  I have ruined projects with too little stabilizer. 

My rule of thumb is the lighter weight the fabric, and increased stitches, the heavier the stabilizer needs to be.  I might use a dryer sheet on denim but not necessarily on light weight cotton. 

I did, however, manage to recycle that dryer sheet and you can see what I did in this blog:   http://www.annthegran.com/blogs/avid-embroiderer/archive/2010/08/06/the-avid-embroiderer-presents-the-giving-tree.aspx

I love to embroider and embroiderers are the BEST!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pattiann  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:51:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I read the post as recycling used dryer sheets to cover the stitching (after the stitching has been completed) and not as a stabilizer. 

Otherwise, using the dryer sheets as a stabilizer would not cover the back of the design any more than commercial stabilizer.  This may be a good resource and just incorrect wording?

If this is so, I do not know how the dryer sheets are attached.  Products sold for this purpose are fusible.

For anyone wondering about covering the back of the finished stitch-out, you can use fusible tricot interfacing (sold by the yard or fraction of a yard where fabrics are sold).

Then, there are products intended specifically for this process.  Cover-A-Stitch is one such product - http://www.allstitch.net...ng-dream-weave-10326.cfm