Notification

Icon
Error

Options
borden47  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:14:52 AM(UTC)

This suggestion was passed down to me while attending an introduction class for my new Brother machine.

It was suggested to place vinyl pencil grippers on the screws of the embroidery hoops.  These pencil grippers can be found in any stationary aisle in stores such as Target, Wal-Mart, etc.  The grippers can be cut to fit the particular screw size.

By placing the grippers on the hoop screws, it alleviates the pressure on finger tips and makes it quite easy to turn the screw(s) to the desired tension. 

Joan / NJ

alssweetheart  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 11:01:03 AM(UTC)

What a great idea!!  The threads on the  screws tear the skin on my fingers and it hurts also!!  I have used a screwdriver before to make sure that I have a good fit for the embroidery project, this sounds great and less likely to mess up the hoop screw. 

Thanks!!

jalcumbrack  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 10:22:20 PM(UTC)

wow ! What a wonderful idea ! I have such a hard time with that with my arthritis.That would deffinatly help me out. Thanks for the tip!

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:42:06 AM(UTC)

Thank you for sharing this idea with us!  I too have a hard time with those screws.

While I seldom hoop my actual fabric, that hooping is vital to a project.  I have had some slippage in the past from the hoop becoming dislodged.  That is how I came to sewing outside the hoop. 

See my blog, The Avid Embroidered, here at Annthegran's terrific site because I will be explaining how to work outside the hoop and most important, why it may work better for your project.  Hooping is project sensitive but there is always another way to do things.

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat

jalcumbrack  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:08:57 PM(UTC)

Geeked I love working outside the hoop! For me it is so much better with my arther and I noticed that since I can never decide how tight is tight with the hoop screws my projects come out sew much better now. I am looking forward to your blog I just know you will have some wonderful ideas! Thanks everyone for your great tips!

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:37:26 AM(UTC)

Good Morning Jal - it is morning here in San Diego and a beautiful one at that!

You are an embroiderer after my own heart.  Hooping is such a combersome part of the work.  I never thought about the advantage for someone who might have hand and finger issues, you are a genius (genius means "vivacity of imagination")!!

Thanks for your input and best wishes to you and yours,

Pat

lself1  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:56:27 PM(UTC)

Great idea! I've also found that hooping is easier since I've started using the springs from old ball point pens on the screw to hold the hoop open while I get the fabric placed.
gcrash  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:34:59 AM(UTC)

hi i see you are from san diego california. my husband is driving me to san friscioto go shopping. i have found a few stores,to buy fabricbut since you live close buy ypu might kown of some to check out.and is there a place by that sells parts for esg 3 which is a baby lock machine.i live in edmonton alberta.i hope you can help

pat71896  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:59:57 AM(UTC)

Welcome to California, visitors are greeted with a big smile and here is yours Cool!

I will email you privately with a recommended dealer who is here in San Diego.  They should be able to tell you someone in that area to assist you.  If they don't know, I am sure that they could tell you where to get information and parts.  My dealer is really knowledgeable and friendly.   

Please join me in my new Blog here at Annthegran.  I will be writing about stabilizers on May 25 and I hope you can add your thoughts in the Blog.

Enjoy your stay and have a safe trip, Pat