Notification

Icon
Error

Options
melissakbs  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 5:43:50 AM(UTC)

Hi! I'm Melissa and I am new to sewing and VERY new to machine embroidery. I have made  a few pouches and tote bags and was thinking "This sure would add some pizzazz if it had initials on it". I am considering purchasing either the Brother SE400 or PE500. I would use it for mostly 3 initial monograms and single initials, maybe my kids' names, nothing too fancy. The fonts I like are Empire, Curlz, and Diamond.

Once I download these fonts, what next? Will I need software to put the letters together for the monograms and spell out the names? Will a free software program be able to do this? Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a lot of money in case I burn out of doing this as a hobby.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Melissa

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:41:56 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hi, Melissa.

Sorry for the late response. 

The two machines you have mentioned; SE 400 (se stands for sewing an embroidery) is a combo and the PE (personal embroidery) is embroidery only.  Both are in the affordable category and this limits the embroidery area.  A limited embroidery area is not insurmountable, but to stitch out a larger design, you would need software that splits the large design into smaller files and a "step hoop" so you do not have to re-hoop for each segment.  There is a good tutorial on splitting and re-hooping at "It's Sew Easy".

Free software???? Universal Stitch Era is the only one I am familiar with and it is a bear to work with (IMO). Wilcom Trusizer is another.

Embird is one that is very popular.  It is not free, but affordable.  There is a free trial.  Best price is at the Secrets of Embroidery website.

There is also a free tutorial for using Embird to combine letters and design files at the ABC-Embroidery website. http://www.annaboveembroidery.com/tiformaem.html

After you purchase the machine, set down with embroidery thread, scraps of fabric or an old shirt and stabilizer.  Read and apply each step of every feature of the machine and stitch out a few of the built-in designs and fonts.  This does not take long and will help you better understand how to best use your machine.

Best wishes for lots of beautiful embroidery.

melissakbs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:58:23 AM(UTC)

Thank you Pattiann for your words of wisdom and guidance! I really appreciate it!