Notification

Icon
Error

Options
windyhsew  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 2:19:53 AM(UTC)

I understand that when using metallic thread, it is a good idea to place the spool of thread some distance from the machine in a thread holder to allow twists to be reduced before entering machine's threading path.  My question is, it seems that somewhere I read that it is a good idea to do this with all threads.  Does anyone know if this is the case?  Thannks for any light you can shed on the topic.

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:22:06 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I use a thread stand that holds several spools of thread so they are handy for the current project.  I can't say the outcome is any better than when I use the spool pin on the embroidery machine.

I do not use much metallic, but when I do and put a narrow bead of Sewer's Aid down the length of the spool to help prevent twisting and knotting.

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:16:33 AM(UTC)

There are a couple of tips I want to share with you regarding metallics. 

1. Select your project carefully.  If you plan to do 10,000 stitches, metallic is not a good bet.  Select the metallic as an accent where there may be fewer than 1,000 stitches.  Use it for the buttons on a snowman or eyes on an angel.  The fewer the better.  And, too much of a good thing is not a good thing. . . .
  2. I always unspool my metallic thread.  There are two reasons for this - first, as you unspool, you may find that the thread is 'sticking' to itself just a small amount.  It does not take a lot to break metallic thread!  That slight hold is dangerous.  Second, when I unspool, it gives the metallic thread a chance to relax. When it comes to metallic, relaxed thread is much better for embroidery.
  3. Slow your machine does to its lowest speed.  This gives you the chance to catch issues as they may come up.  And, as a time honored right of passage, watching the design come to life is fun!!!
  4. Some people swear by placing your spool in the freezer.  I suppose there may be a good reason for that but I am not sure how it makes sense unless the humidity of the cold assists in some way.  Try to keep in mind that what works for you may or may not work for someone else.  I personally think that humidity of any thread is a factor.  I lived in Phoenix where the humidity is very low (around 15% year round) and had more thread breakage there than here in southern California where the average is more like 40%.

Show up your project.  When you are in writing mode of a forum letter, select the film strip icon and follow the prompts.  I/we all love to see what everyone else is doing!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:22:40 AM(UTC)

Gee, after all that, I did not put a picture of any thing of mine in my posting!  Well, here it is!!!

This is one of my hankies that I sell.  The font is Carnation from Alphabet Xpress.  I did the embellishment in a soft gold (not metallic) but it is a big hit with brides!!!

Alphabet Xpress is the easiest (believe me, I have tried many others) wording fonts to use!!!!!!!!!!!

windyhsew  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:52:12 AM(UTC)

Thank you.  I appreciate your tips and picture.

pattiann  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 12:28:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

It does appear that "huma-dita-tee" does factor in.

pat71896  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 2:20:40 AM(UTC)

Thanks windyhsew!  I love to discuss embroidery and enjoy hearing other people's input.  I hope multiple people add methods they have used on metallic threads because there is not just a few answers.

Pattiann - LOL  Big Smile 

I was thinking about other ways to make a project interesting and adding crystals is another way to create sparkle without driving yourself nuts.  After all, practice is what creates good embroidery and trying to do metallic without experimenting is not the best idea. 

If you have a project where the item cost a lot of money, it is not time to try something that is known to be challenging.  Practice, practice, and then ask questions here at AnnTheGran!

ps: here is another Alphabet Xpress font - Darling. 

windyhsew  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:29:38 AM(UTC)

Thanks Pattiann.  I have checked out what Sewer's Aid is and I think it might be a good thing for me to have on hand.  I will try your idea to put a narrow bead of it down the length of any metallic thread I use in the future.  I'm really not a huge fan of metallics, but wondered about the spool stand for other threads primarily.

pat71896  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 2:44:52 AM(UTC)

I love Sewer's Aid as well.  It is actually silicon and gives a slick surface without adding oil.

I have a specific rule when it comes to issues like the spool stand - follow what the professionals do (I got my front loader washing machine based on this rule as well). 

Sorry the photo is small but you get the idea.  If the pros do it and I am also able to use their method, I do!

They are very handy because of saving space as well.  Ann has a nice selection.

Not only space saving but also good for organizing things.