Notification

Icon
Error

Options
nektaria  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:20:05 AM(UTC)

Can anybody tell me about a stitch remover that can work on a towel?Please tell me about it. I have some mistakes and I can't correct them.

maureenjp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2008 7:06:00 AM(UTC)

I was searching for one myself and I have seen one at AllStitch.net.  You can contact them and ask if it works well on towels. This is what the advertised on the page that I opened. I hope this information helps you.

MaureenSmile

Peggy's Stitch Eraser removes stitches in fabric without damage to material! A must for anyone who sews!

- Special cutting head
- Powerful motor
- Lightweight & portable
- Removes stitches from almost anything
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Unlike regular razors, this unit has a special blade for cutting thread

atgadmin  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:37:05 PM(UTC)

We carry Peggy's Stitch Eraser as well. What is actually happening at the moment is that Peggy's Stitch Eraser 7, the cordless version, is no longer being made, and Peggy's Stitch Eraser 8 will be shipping from the manufacturers shortly. You will have trouble finding PSE7 anywhere at the moment, but the good news is that PSE8 will be out shortly, at which time you can be sure that we will feature it in our weekly specials.

db1921  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 12:23:28 AM(UTC)

nektaria:

One way to correct mistakes on towel is to embroidery a design in a square, rectangle or oval and applique it over the mistake. There are some great applique shapes available if you don't have software to create your own.  Annthegran has an applique shape set http://www.annthegran.co...duct.aspx?t=1&i=6586

Sometimes a do squares in sets of three on the bath and then only one on the hand towel and the design alone (not in an applique frame) on the wash cloth to make great decorator towel sets.

nmoore1965@msn.com  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:49:33 AM(UTC)

I have used the Peggy Stitch remover and have made holes in products! Yikes! What am I doing wrong?

dmorgan@gigemags.com  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 1:47:23 AM(UTC)

I've had the same problem...holes in my fabric, using Peggy's stitch eraser. 

annthegran  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 3, 2008 11:16:52 PM(UTC)

You have to work gingerly with Peggy's Stitch Eraser. First, even though it looks like an electric shaver, it doesn't work like one. You hold Peggy's upside down over the back of the stitches you want to remove. Pressing very lightly, move the eraser back and forth until you have a small portion of clipped bobbin stitches. Then turn the design over and use you tweezers to remove the threads that have been set free. Then turn it over and continue.The trick is to keep the eraser above the stitches so your fabric will be unaffected.  Eventually you will get everything out without damaging your fabric. Or almost everything. Sometimes there are stitches that are so tiny there's no getting them out. Usually this doesn't matter as you're going to be embroidering something in place of the stitches you've removed. Keep in mind that your fabric has now become fragile. If possible I like to iron some fusible interfacing on the back to give the fabric more stability. If you don't sew or don't have any fusible interfacing handy, use a fusible cut-away stabilizer instead.

fluffy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 4:53:24 AM(UTC)

Where can you buy this Peggy's stitch remover.  I have never heard of one...........Carolyn

lself1  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2008 12:10:36 AM(UTC)

I've found that, for me at least, the best way is the seam ripper, tweezers and magnifying glass method. When all else fails I have also made a patch using a fabric as close as posslible to the original, embroidering on it and then sewing it on.  To keep the "hole" from showing on the back, I use a lightweight cut away stabilizer underneath when sewing the patch on.  I used this method for a company logo on a customers sweater that I thought I had ruined and would have to replace, and the customer liked it even better than having it directly embroidered on the sweater.  Now others in the office want the "patch" logo too.   Just goes to show you, mistakes aren't always a disaster!

pat71896  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 1:04:14 AM(UTC)

A towel has to be the hardest to embroider and the hardest to remove embroidery.  Next to a fabric like silk, I would say that a towel, cheap or expensive, is a real disaster.

I have looked over the answers here.  As usual, Ann has given you a great avenue to repair your fabric, but the most fool proof solution is to buy another towel. 

I will be talking about stitch removal in one of my up coming blogs.  Revomal is never an easy issue.  Another factor is the amount of removal necessary to complete your task.   If you have to do removal, I have found that natural light is a great asset.  And, Iself1 added a magnifier, another excellent idea.

I do hope to see more ideas here at AnnTheGran, ME enthusiasts are really resourceful. 

borden47  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 4:02:42 AM(UTC)

Luckily, I only had to remove a complete design twice.  Neither on a towel but did remove from a thick, knitted hat.

Like the other comment, I have also used a seam ripper, tweezers and a VERY GOOD OVERHEAD LIGHT!  Long process but it does work and the stitches can be removed. 

My other method is a Wahl Peanut beard/mustache trimmer turned upside down.  Even with the Peanut, I use it very slowly and still use tweezers towards the end to pull where I can.  I found the Peanut to work very well.  I have not tried the  Peggy's Stitch Remover.

I think with any or all methods, the trick is to take your time.

Joan/NJ

pat71896  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 4:29:53 AM(UTC)

Joan - I so agree, "take your time."  I think that is the reason why any removal process fails. 

I am going to try the shaver.  I think the trick is to stay above the fabric, barely touching the thread.  Peggy's does have a special blade made for thread rather than hair.  Since those two things are very different, it makes sense to me to use a special blade.

Do you have problems with the blade getting thread stuck? 

Pat/San Diego - another beautiful day!

borden47  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 10:06:42 AM(UTC)

Hello Pat,

I did not have a problem with the Wahl Peanut getting stuck on the thread.  When I finished, I just blew the trimmer and it was okay.  I think the trick is the turning upside down of the trimmer.  Must be upside down or better term, "turned over".   I seriously have nothing to compare it to because I have never tried the Peggy Stitch Remover.  All I know is that it did work and did not ruin my husband's Wahl trimmer (!!) AND THEN I bought myself the Wahl Peanut Trimmer. 

Joan/NJ 

pat71896  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2008 5:53:15 AM(UTC)

It is great to hear different methods of working through an issue.  Everyone has to remove a few stitches from time to time.

I was wondering how you handle the pieces of thread that come off the design?  When I am working on my 'rip out,' there is all these pieces of thread and they stick to me, my tweezers, my clothes, my nose and pretty much make a real mess. 

I do use a dish of water to place the linty pieces but that is not great either.  I have used double faced tape but that fills up so fast.  Does anyone have a suggestion for controlling those snippets.  I have also let them fall to the floor and vacuum.  After vacuuming, I have to take a seam ripper to get those larger pieces that are now stuck in my vacuum.  Sometimes I think it will never end with those (as Gilda Radner would have said) teeny, tiny pieces. 

Pat

lself1  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2008 10:28:58 PM(UTC)

I usually use a lint roller,the kind that you peel off when it gets full, but you're right that it gets full awfully fast.  I'm thinking maybe a dustbuster would work.