Notification

Icon
Error

Options
cnnrobertson  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:00:06 AM(UTC)

I have a Brother PE700 machine and I have had problems with thread breaking since the first day I brought it home.  I use Sulky, Madeira, Coats and Clark which have all had breakage issues in this machine.  The only thread that seems to do OK is the Robison Anton.  Does anyone else have this problem and if so, is there anything I can do to keep the thread from breaking?

Thanks!

jalcumbrack  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:53:46 AM(UTC)

If it is a brand new machine I would contact Brother to see if maybe there is a set up you may have to perform on it. I would certainly talk to them first.

tickford  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:14:30 PM(UTC)

Hi,

I was advised to only use Brother, Robison Anton or Madeira threads because of the breakage problems other threads have. I still however get the occasional breakage. 

says59  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:36:55 PM(UTC)

Maybe you should experiment with different needles. Also you might check your tension on your machine.

db1921  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 12:33:31 AM(UTC)

Hi,

Another thing you might try is to blow out the threading path and the bobbin case with air.  You can get canned air with the long tube attachment at any computer store.  Sometimes old lint and thread causes breakage and this will help get anything in the paths out so your thread will run on a smooth path.

DB

morzel  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 10:24:08 PM(UTC)

There are several reasons why thread breaks.  The needle is dull, the wrong size or the eye is sharp - replace the needle.  All thread tends to dry out, making it more fragile.  Try buying new thread and keep it in an air tight container.  The timing might be off on the machine.  Have a certified repairman check it out.

nannieannie  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:27:14 PM(UTC)

I have been machine embroidering for several years in the UK and like you had a problem with thread breaking in the beginning. I don’t have a brother machine, so I’m not sure how the thread spool is positioned, but I fount hat something as simple as turning the spool the other way up often did the trick, (it means that the tread unravels in a different direction). If you can, try repositioning the spool to standing vertically, or lying horizontally as this may help. If you are using rayon thread, make sure you store it in the dark, direct sunlight will weaken the thread and make it break more easily. If you are able to override the tension when embroidering, loosen it very slightly in stages until you achieve the best result.

If all else fails, contact your retailer, you won’t be the first to have problems. Happy Stiching!!!!

kiwiblosm  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 4:04:40 PM(UTC)

Hi there

My name is Marion and I am from New Zealand.

I have done a number of machine embroidery workshops and what all the tutors have stressed is that when you are doing something with an embroidery thread which is   usuually rayon, you need to have a decent needle.  Without fail they have all recomended a large eye needle called metafil.  Even though I still have the occaisional breakage i have had  much better luck with these needes.  The thread flows through them easily and doesn't heat up the same apparently.

I hope that I have been helpful to you

My kind regards to you all

Marion 

auntpolly  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 10:42:26 PM(UTC)

I bought a new esante machine and it would shred the thread (and of course break) as it came down to the needle. It was under warranty - the repair tech said something inside the machine was catching the thread   - so it might be a good idea to have the tech check it out - if still does shred the thread, but it is not so constant and I can live with it  -although for the pice it  be shred free. He also said, "sometimes it IS the machine and not the user." Aunt Polly

auntsal2000  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 11:14:43 PM(UTC)

I have had thread break in the machine; mostly when sewing on thicker fabrics.  I have found that I need to make sure I have the same bobbin thread as top thread.  Also, if sewing on thicker fabrics, try changing your needle to a denim or leather needle.  Hope this helps...Sally

kbalzer332  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:10:26 AM(UTC)

I also had trouble with thread breaking during embroidering.  I bought one of the stands that sit by my machine on the desk and holds the thread letting it feed from the top and over to the machine.  It is wonderful.  I have 95% (approx) breaking now.  I bought it at the quilting shop.

JoAnn's has plastic stands if you want to start out cheaper to see if it corrects your problem of thread breaking.

Kbalzer332

pat71896  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 4:56:03 AM(UTC)

I think that thread breaking is a universal problem to which there are a multitude of answers, none of which is right or wrong.

My suggestions are:

1. Do use a thread stand and watch that the thread does not begin to twist.  Thread, ater all, is just pieces of polyester, cotton, rayon, etc., spun together. 
  2. Try silicon drops or a spray.  The drops are in a small bottle and easy to control.  You can get silicon spray in the automotive section of your favorite store but it does spray around the target area.
  3. Some threads are better than others.  Use the best one you can afford and avoid those that have an appearance of hanging around too long (like dust on the spool or dirty or torn labels).  
  4. Make sure your bobbin case is clean and lint free.  It should not have any sharp edges.  Have your service person look at it to be sure it is still in proper working order.  They can tell if it is worn down and that sort of thing is just not visible to the general embroiderer.
  5. Tension can also cause breakage.  Be careful when adjusting tension because you may cause other problems like bobbin thread showing up on the top of the design.  Adjust in single increments to see if it helps and if it does not seem to make a difference, go back to the factory setting.
  6. Use a metalic needle if all else fails.  They are more expensive but have a larger hole and generally are easier on the thread - because that is what they do.

I love to embroider and get just as disappointed as anyone when my thread fails.  It is part of the process and sometimes cannot be helped.

Pat

alssweetheart  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 2, 2008 10:37:40 AM(UTC)

There are multitudes of reasons or causes for thread breaks.  It can be caused by different situations.  One of the main causes of thread breaks that I have is that the thread is not seated in the thread path.  Hold the thread firmly in your right hand with enough thread in your left hand to go through the machine, pull the thread through the thread path and thread the needle.  Sometimes I have rethreaded it several times.  If the thread is not in the correct place it catches on something and snaps. 

Also, if you are using some of the sticky stabilizers the residue will coat the needle and the thread gets stuck and breaks.  The silicone oil helps that; I apply it to a q-tip (very lightly) and put it on the needle and be sure to wipe the eye of the needle also.

Good luck with your embroidering, the more you embroider the better you get at trouble shooting situations!!

lself1  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2008 12:19:04 AM(UTC)

I had this problem also, though on a Viking machine.  A friend advised me that sometimes, because the machines sew so fast, the thread and needle heat up from the friction, thus causing a thread failure.  This seems to happen more often with rayon thread.  Since I've started using a slower stitch speed, especially on large design areas, I haven't had as much trouble.