Notification

Icon
Error

Options
agility311  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 6:17:29 PM(UTC)

I am new to machine embroidery and I am looking for a starter machine which can be used on t-shirts.

Can anybody help?

jalcumbrack  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:50:58 AM(UTC)

I would go to a dealer that handles several different brands of machines.They will let you try them in the store and you can decide which one fits your price range and needs. Most all embroidery machines will sew t-shirts.Everyone has their own personal preferance as far as what they want in a machine. I like to be able to download designs off the websites. Others may not. You also have to decide how much you want to spend on one. A good little starter machine is the new Brother PE-700 Ann introduced on this site and at the community circle event in Orlando.It's a lot of machine for the money.Give a few of them a try and see what fits you the best.Talk to the people at the store and ask a lot of questions ,tell them what you want to do with it, and what features you are looking for.Most reputable dealers are more than willing to help you out.Also look on the web for different brands and compare features,sometimes it will also list a dealer in your area as well.Do your research and make sure when the time comes you want to move up in machines they will take it on trade and how much they will give on a trade,some will do that and some won't.Once you have decided on which one you want then get some prices on-line and see how they compare at your local dealers.Keep in mind that you will have to have it serviced from time to time ,ask how you do that as well.Also check on E-Bay for the one you want,again keep in mind that they will not service it.

It is a big investment for you so find out as much as you can and go armed to the dealer.

Hope this has helped you out a little.

sewgrand  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:54:38 AM(UTC)

IdeaI don't believe that a specific machine matters.  I would stabilize the t-shirt with a fusible tricot interfacing first.  I would not hoop the t-shirt, rather I would use a frame of basting stitches to attach the t-shirt to your stabilizer.  You could also hoop a sticky-backed stabilizer and adhere the interfaced t-shirt to that stabilizer.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

nmart17  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:09:30 PM(UTC)

I am new too.  My MIL has a beautiful Babylock which cost about $4000.  A little out of my budget, so I started with a Brother SE270 on ebay for about $200.00.  I love this machine.  I researched many different sites before buying.  This machine does regular sewing with several special stitches as well as embroidery up to 5 x 7 inches.  You may want to look into this machine, it is available at Walmart if there is one in your area.  It is a good solid beginner machine with a 25 year warranty.  Good luck!

otharris  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:21:39 AM(UTC)

There are several great machines out there.  When I was looking for one, a friend who was a dealer (Pfaff and  Bernina), asked about the features I wanted.  Did I want it to hook up to a computer?  Did I want a sewing and embroidery machine?  Did I want a flash drive (thumbstick) slot on the machine?  Did I want to have to make a card to store designs?  Did I want designs loaded on the machine?  How large of a surface did I want to embroider?  Did I want to be able to see the designs I was sewing on the machine?  In color? I did not want a machine that was too technical.  I don't have a computer in my sewing room so hooking up to a computer was not an option. I also wanted a machine that came with most of what I needed.  After we talked, she recommended a BabyLock machine.  This was a surprise since she sold Pfaff and Bernina.  BabyLock and Brother are very similar (so I am told).  I could not afford the Ellegante in the beginning.  I bought the Ellageo and a couple of years later traded up to the Ellegante.  I simply love the Ellegante.  I agree with a previous post - try different machines to see what feels right to you.  My mother-in-law swears by Viking.  A girlfirend by Janome.  As I mentioned, I love my BabyLock and it is compatible with the free designs on Ann-the-Gran's site.

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:11:34 AM(UTC)

It is not so much the machine as the assistance you can get from your store. 

Find someone who gives lessons AND have knowledgeable staff. 

Stabilizers is more important that the machine by far.  Tshirts need a strong backing and the backing needs to be adhered to the inside of the shirt.  A top stabilizer is also highly recommended.  Use a light weight water soluable on the top and a sturdy cut away on the back.  Select a design that does not have too heavy a pattern.  That is to say, it should be more of an outline style and less of a full stitch (no background can be seen) design.   ALWAYS make a sample on similar fabric. 

As you go along and learn your craft, you will be able to venture into more and more designs.  Start out simple and progress.  You should have good success.

sewingnina  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:26:36 PM(UTC)

I am Nina McCollister I have a janome 9000 with hoops and accessories with it good condition for 800.00  with shipping and handling.

lself1  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:59:04 AM(UTC)

I agree with the writer that said the dealer is more important than the machine.  No matter how good the machine is, it won't do you much good if you have a problem and can't get help.  Department store prices are almost always lower, but you don't get service or help from the sales staff.   Go to a dealer with a good reputation; ask lots and lots of questions and "test drive" different machines.  Check warranties, return policies and trade-up options.  Make your decision on the machine features AND on the courtesy, knowledge and helpfulness of the sales staff.