Notification

Icon
Error

Options
wendya2j  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:13:39 AM(UTC)

Hi!!

I just got this machine, and it was stitching out designs fine!! Then the stitches started looking sloppy so I upped the tension a little, It still isnt working right. I feel like when I thread it I can just keep pulling the thread through the mechanism....Do you think i need to send this machine back???? ITs brand new!!!!

Any ideas are appreciated!! So far I have rethreaded a million times, tried different thread, changed the needle, cleaned out the bobbin casing, changed the bobbin.....????

Thanks!!

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:40:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Sounds like the timing needs to be adjusted.  Look for a Brother dealer in your area to have the machine looked at.  It is still under warranty.

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:18:55 AM(UTC)

The factory settings are usually correct, but during travel to get to you, that machine may have been bumped just right to cause some problems.

You should be able to pull thread through if the mechanism if the foot is in the up position, but not in the down position.  

You don't say specifically what 'sloppy' actually means.  Is the upper thread loose?  Is the bobbin thread nesting?  Are you using embroidery thread? 

Your best bet is to return to the shop of purchase, have the unit checked AND most importantly, get some lessons on your machine.  Even an experienced embroiderer with a new machine needs guidance. 

Let us know how you are doing.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

wendya2j  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:06:09 AM(UTC)

Okay - sloppy meaning that the top stitches are loose than tight than loose than looser...looks aweful!!! And the last few trials, it has pulled thread down into the bobbin area locking up the needle. Yes, I am using embroidery thread and the machine was working fine on the thread that I have. I had to use my Brother 270D while my 770 has been down, and it works absolutely fine. I am using the factory bobbin as well.

I purchased it through HSN because I could do flex payments through them. Just got it 2 weeks ago.

Do you guys use prewound bobbins? If so, anyone know what ones I'd get for my 770?

THanks so much for your help!!

pattiann  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 2:02:49 AM(UTC)

Take the machine to a local Brother dealer for for service.  Take a sample of the stitching so they can tell what is wrong.  You still have a warranty.

I use NEB prewounds. in black or white.  Standard size is class A/15 or L. 

I use a bobbin center pin/spacer when I use the NEB bobbins (size L, which is a tiny bit shorter) and have not had any issues with the low bobbin sensor (see article by cigar city arts).

http://www.thesewingoutlet.com/products/Bobbin-Center-Pin-for-Pre%252dwound-Bobbins-XD0835051.html

http://www.cigarcityarts.com/articles/bobbins.html

http://www.annthegran.com/Search.aspx?q=nebs

http://allstitchembroiderysupplies.com/department/neb-embroidery-bobbins-10031.cfm

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 2:44:33 AM(UTC)

Work with your local dealership to get training and Pattiann is right on target.  The prewound bobbins are the best!

You may have to pay for the training, and frankly, it can be expensive.  Read the forums and blogs here.   I started with a 270D as well, and frankly, it was LOUD but hard working.  You are going to love your 770 when you get the kinks worked out. 

Pat 

ndp79  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:37:25 AM(UTC)

I'm having this issue now. I'm new to embroidery. I think I've decided that mine is the bobbin tension. I have to pull out the bobbin casing and turn the little screw counter clockwise a little. Then it seems to work beautifully until it changes to a new design (ex: a different image on applique). The screw didn't seem to move when I checked it the last time, so I'm not sure what the deal is. It made a HUGE difference in the stitch quality. You may want to try this to see if it works for you. There are instructions on how to do this in the manual towards the back.

wendya2j  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2010 8:45:29 AM(UTC)

My problem is solved!! A found out that my bobbin casing wasnt all the way seated!!! Once I seated it, all is well again!! Whew!! Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!! It kept me problem solving and trying things!!!

pat71896  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:40:58 AM(UTC)

It is great to hear from you that you solved your issue.    The fact that you kept trying shows that you will be very successful in embroidery.

There are many problems to solve as you go along.  Being open minded and keeping after it is 90% of the game.

wendya2j  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:04:45 AM(UTC)

Thanks - Im so happy its working again!!! I was working on an outfit for a Make A Wish child who leaves on her trip next week!!!!!! It had lots of embroidery on it!!!

pattiann  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:17:26 PM(UTC)

Too cute!  You both have to be very happy with the dress.

rroldan  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:46:38 AM(UTC)

I am also having tension problems w/my PE-770. I've adjusted both the bobbin tension and the top thread tension.  At one time the entire backing of my design was almost totally all bobbin thread.  Adjusted the bobbin tension, got a little better.  Now testing by embroidering letters and there's just a tiny streak of bobbin thread on the wrong side of design (where it should be showing just a bit of the top thread).  In other words, now the top thread almost entirely covers the back of the design.  I've been going back and forth w/the adjustments at least a dozen times!  Please help me...I bought this machine to make Christmas gifts this year. :-(

pattiann  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:27:26 AM(UTC)

The back edges should be almost entirely covered with the top thread.

pat71896  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:10:27 AM(UTC)

Hello!

If you go to this blog you will find some sample/testing formats for various embroidery formats.

It will help you determine what is happening.  Sometimes when people work with the tension, it can get really out of whack. 

One thing that I would like to suggest is that when you get a new machine, or it has just been fine tuned by a technician, take a photo of the settings and/or write down all the settings as you see them.  We cannot be expected to remember all the issues involved in this machine. 

Knowing that the bobbin case screw is at say 2 o'clock, just may help in the future.

rroldan  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:15:49 AM(UTC)

Actually, the manual says the tension is correct if the top thread is just visible on the wrong side, which is also what my projects looked like w/my old embroidery machine.  The sample they have in the manual shows the color of the top thread visible is basically an outline from the bottom of the fabric.

pattiann  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:45:45 AM(UTC)

Try another design and/or a different stabilizer.

If the problem continues, take the machine in for service.  Take a sample of the stitching with you.  Before bringing the machine home ask to run the design to see if issue has been resolved.

renepelli  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:11:37 AM(UTC)

Hi, have had this machine for a month, was doing just fine, then upper thread seemed to be unraveling causing fuzz balls, now the thread is wrapping around the bobbin, making holes in the fabric  and now my needle is jammed, sounds similar to your problem.  I did take off the plate and dig out a big thread nest, do you think I "unseated" the bobbin, saw that seating your bobbin took care of what sounds like the same problem.

pattiann  
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:23:07 PM(UTC)

I have not heard of seating the bobbin.  I have heard of threading the machine with the presser foot up so the top thread seats in the tension control.

Refer to the maintenance section of the manual to be sure the bobbin case has not been knocked out of place in the race/shuttle.  Turning the hand wheel until the needle is at it's highest position will place the race in the correct position to accept the bobbin case.

Make sure the bobbin is placed into the bobbin case so the bobbin thread is feeding from the bobbin spool in the correct direction and through the tension adjusting spring on the side of the bobbin case.

Since the jam, the needle could be bent and needs to be replaced.

Try a different color of thread to see if the shredding continues.  Black is one color that is weakened during the dying process.  If this is the color you were having an issue with, try a better brand of embroidery thread.