Notification

Icon
Error

Options
veteran  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:59:44 AM(UTC)

My XP laptop is crashing so I bought a new HP Touch computer with windows 7.  I have PE-Design 8.0 (upgrade) on the XP my orginal version was 6.something?  Do I need to install the original PE-Design 6.something on the new computer first.  Can I even load the 6.0 on the Window's 7 computer, I would really hate to have to buy the 8.0 full version to use my machines.  I do know that I have to install the window's 7 drivers on my PR-600II, PR-650 and Quattro.  I know someone on here must have the answers.  Thanks.

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:06:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

You should contact Brother.  I would think you would have to install as you originally did.  

appaloosue  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:23:29 PM(UTC)

I think the problem is with Windows 7.  I'm having the same problem and if you read the fine print on the updates for the design program, it only works with Windows 7 "32-bit".   I have Windows 7 with a "64-bit" system.  I too am looking for answers because mine does not work either....well, I can get the stitch creator to work, but not the design or editing parts.  I guess the next question would be - which PE-design programs work with the 64-bit Windows?  I've thought about getting the Windows 7 "professional" version because it says that it will work with programs that  worked under the Windows XP version.....Seems the least expensive way to go....  But I'm still trying to find answers.

Just thought I'd let you know what I've found out so far.  Oh, and I've been to my dealers' stores and they are baffled.....  They've even had Brother & Babylock try to help with solutions and they keep referring me to the web-site with updates that only work with "32-bit".

To find out your Windows version, right mouse click on "computer" and then go to properties.  It's in there somewhere. 

Good luck & let me know if you get a working answer.  

Sue

veteran  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:23:45 PM(UTC)

This is so frustrating!  I bought a new touch computer $1500.00 so that I could also digitize utilizing the new technology but now I can't use the computer with PE-Design 6.0 with 8.0 upgrade.  I also have tried every avenue possible.  Brother doesn't seem to want to help.  They never answer my questions and my dealers like you refer me to the website.  I was told that the "new" PE-Design Next which will be out in mid-Sept is supposed to work with Windows 7, 64 bit.  PE-Design 8.0 full is also supposed to work.  I'm very cautious because if I get the full versions I'm afraid they won't work.  My computer did come with the Professional version because it's a HP touch computer.   Brother really needs to give us a real answer about this.  I think all the new computers are coming with 64bit now.  I will let you know what happened.

pattiann  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 3:51:39 AM(UTC)

Sorry you are having problems.  However, this site is neither a "dealer", nor an affiliate of Brother. 

You can buy embroidery machines at Walmart or Sears and they certainly are not "dealers" or affiliates of any sewing machine company.

Software companies are not quick to make change every time Microsoft comes out with a new product.

You could save yourself a lot of grief by purchasing a used PC with and older version of Windows.  I have an "antique" desktop PC with XP that I use only for software products that are not compatible with newer versions of Windows.

appaloosue  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 9:42:17 PM(UTC)

I received a response from Brother stating that the "NEXT" version is "64-bit" savvy.  Their response time to my e-mail was within 24 hours...so I consider that wonderful!!

I also connected with my computer guys and they suggested just having a NEW (not a worn out used one) computer loaded with XP or Vista for use with the older software.  The down side of that is using the graphic software on the "64-bit" machine & then having to transfer it to the XP machine.  I also just don't need another piece of furniture (something to house two laptops or computers). Another option is that I could load the "32-bit" Windows onto my computer which would wipe out all of my programs and Windows 7-64 bit & then I would have to re-install ALL of them.  Oh, he also said that  upgrades are usually the full versions so don't go and spend more on that angle.  The upgrades usually just look for a previous version to validate ownership and then they load.  This may or may not be true for this software, but it makes some sense.

As for Windows Professional version, did you try running the XP mode of it?  I'm not sure how that all works, but, I think that you may have to start the XP version at start-up or some such thing.  Let me know if you have success.

This is a case of typical technology progress......MS because it wants to update bells & whistles & then you need to buy all their new software, and Software companies because they need to keep their programmers busy updating to the newer OS's.  No matter what, it's an expense to us, the consumer not to mention frustrating & time consuming.

I think the best thing to do before we purchase any software anymore, is AT THE DEALER, see a program running and see which OS it is successfully operating in.  That's probably the only sure bet!!! (And that's why I shy away from purchasing things like that at Non-dealer venues)

Sue 

pattiann  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:12:03 AM(UTC)

Software products should list the system requirements, such as this one on an Amazing Designs product, which is fine when you are purchasing new software.  This particular product includes updates for Vista and W7, but does not emphasize "bit" compatibility -

• Pentium III processor or above
• Windows® 2000 or XP * For Windows 7 and Vista updates, download from http://www.amazingdesign...nloads/software-updates/
• 256 MB RAM
• 1 GB available hard drive space

veteran  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:06:14 AM(UTC)

I know this is not a dealer or affiliate site.  I was just asking others about their experience.

Sue, 

I finally got an answer from a dealer out of my area.  She was really helpful.  She went right to Brother with the problem. 

They told her to have me install my original PE-Design 6.0  (full)first, then install my PE-Design 8.0 next followed by the windows 7, 64bit download provided on the Brother site for PE-8.0.  Brother stated that this should work. 

I'm going to try it tomorrow because I'm a long arm quilter also and have a few customer quilts that I have to do today. 

I'll let you know how it works.  If you want to communicate off the forum my address is sewsweetgator@aol.com.  Thanks for the posts. 

patchesbypatches  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:07:16 PM(UTC)

I had a similar problem with pe design 7.0 when I bought a new computer with windows 7 / 64 bit os.

Usually, if you have an "upgrade" newer version, you must have a prior version of pe design install ed on your computer. I had to reinstall version5.0 as it was the only full version I had.

Then I had to go to the brothers international sight to the software upgrade downloads and download the pe design upgrade for windows7 32 / 64 bit. Ther was one or two upgrade I had to download.

Everything worked fine after that.

Hope this helps.

PatchesbyPatches

patchesbypatches  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:49:57 PM(UTC)

Your new computer is probablly running windows &/64 bit, instead of 7/32 bit. You need to download the upgrade for pedesign version 7, as I couldn't find one fro version 6.

I had loaded pedesign 6.0 butit wouldn't work, so I installed pedesign 7.0, but it still wouldn't work until after I downloaded the upgrade for windows 7.0/64 bit. Then both pe 6.0 & 7.0 would work just find.

GOOD LUCK

PATCHES

geekysolutions  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 8:31:21 AM(UTC)

Sorry to Hijack an old post, but I have just resolved this issue. Contrary to what Brother say, it IS possible to get PE Design Ver 6 to work on Windows 7 64 Bit. I have just used this solution on a friends PC, and it works fine. I have typed up the solution at the site below:

http://www.geekysolutions.co.uk/tips/brother.php

If you prefer, you can download the two files direct from Brother’s website.

Nick Shaw
GeekySolutions.

pat71896  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 9:19:17 AM(UTC)

Thank you Nick!  When we are using a software that is not universally used, many of the 'big boys' neglect us.  We appreciate your help.

I will keep GeekySolutions in mind when I get stumped the next time.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer