Notification

Icon
Error

Options
missjmac  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:32:39 AM(UTC)

New to machine embroidery and just got a Janome 350e Embroidery machine, WOW, have a great time with my new "toy" and all the designs that came with the machine, but I am having HUGE problems getting designs from the internet and pulling them up on the machine.  Here's what happens:. 

I put a USB drive in the machine and format it.  It shows me that it was successful and places a "My Designs" folder on the USB drive.  Then, I go to the internet and try to download a design.  It looks like I don't have a program on my computer that will open up the design so I can see it.  So, what I do is save it to the USB drive, but it saves it in a Zip file.  I then can't open it on my computer and when I go to the machine it doesn't show anything in My Designs. 

So, my questions are first:  (1) Do I need a software program on my computer that will open JEF files and is there a freebie somewhere on the internet and (2) Can my Janome machine not open zipped files, so I need to find a way to open them on my computer and save them to the USB drive fully opened?  Help!!!  I love the machine and would like to take the next step!!!  Thanks soooooooooo.... much!

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:36:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

(1) You need a catalog program software in order to view the designs-like these - 

http://www.annthegran.com/Search.aspx?q=atgswaresearch&ssp=/0/0/1/9/0

http://www.smrsoftware.com/Buzz_Tools_Plus.shtml

(2) The files have to be unzipped or extracted before sending to the EM. 

Downloaded design files are zipped/compressed and this format cannot be read by any embroidery machine.

After downloading, mouse over the file you want to unzip and you will get a mini screen.  Select Open or Extract All.

Save the opened file to a designated folder on the hard drive of your pc.

Later, you can delete the zipped files after checking to be sure all is well.

If you cannot download a design file in the format of your machine (JEF), then you can use either of the two software programs listed above, or download Wilcom to convert to JEF.  This is a free conversion program that you can download to your pc. 

I created a folder on my hard drive and named it Embroidery.  This is where I download to and then after unzipping, I rename and save the new file; deleting the zipped file.  Then, I send those I want to stitch-out to the USB.  

I use a second USB as a designated backup and send the Embroidery file to this USB each time I make a change - it will overwrite the last back-up.

bbsue@btconline.net  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 1:27:01 PM(UTC)

Hi,

You have to extract the zipped files on your computer. Format USB on machine. I don't know what emb software you have. But I use embird and I bring extracted files up in embird editor then when I put USB in to save file, I save it to whatever drive the USB is in, in jeff format, then an emb-embf folder comes up, and I doubleclick those and save design to that folder. Then when you put it in machine the design will show. Hope this helps.

kmbeukema  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:21:46 AM(UTC)

Hi,

I just came across this post this evening.  I just purchased a Janome 350E embroidery machine.  I purchased several applique designs from a reputable internet source.  Once I downloaded them to my computer, I then brought them over and saved them to my USB memory stick.  I saved them in the MyDesigns folder which is within the Embf5 folder.  I see these designs (all in JEF format) when my memory card is plugged into my computer.  When I take the memory card and insert into the embroidery machine and bring up the MyDesigns folder not one of my designs show up??  Today, I was actually speaking with a representative for Needleheads.  I had a few quesions on my MWP software.  I told him about the problem I was having.  He had me send it to him and then he emailed it back to me and I was then able to open it up in my embroidery machine.  Do you have any advice.  I am really confused.