Notification

Icon
Error

Options
cf637  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 1:23:41 AM(UTC)

During embroidery everyone says thread breaks can be caused by old thread. How old is old?

I was into embroidery around 4 years ago and purchased a HUGE supply of threads. I am having some breaks and I know that this is normal but does anyone know how long threads are good for?

annthegran  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 10:38:26 PM(UTC)

I'm at the Community Circle in Orlando, and we've just shared your question with a roomful of embroiderers. There were many great answers. Hopefully someone will post one in this forum!Cool

Ann

lowerbarpham  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2008 1:31:19 AM(UTC)

I have had some mine for nearly 20 years (how time flies) and i still find it ok to use

onthelake  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:41:29 AM(UTC)

I also have some thread that is a few years old.  I have a terrific cabinet top mounted on a wall in my sewing room that holds hundreds of cones of thread.  It is a long, large top from a dining room china cabinet, with 3 shelves and glass doors.  On each shelf in this cabinet, with the thread,  I have a small plastic container filled with water that helps keep the thread from drying out.  This has worked great for me. 

marsuz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:46:41 AM(UTC)

I have some sewing thread that I know for a fact is 40 years old and I still use it.  But to answer your question, if it breaks easily when tugged it is rotten.  If you keep it out of sunlight it will last many years, but remember that the biggest threat to thread is sun and dampness.

Your 4 year old thread should be fine, but if you are having more breaks on one brand more than the others I would not buy that brand again.

jalcumbrack  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:55:38 PM(UTC)

Indifferent Well I will try to help you as well. I have been using the same thread for upwards of 4 years. They are right, keeping it out of the sun helps a lot. But it may be that your machine just doesn't like that brand of thread.I have that problem. I have a Viking Platinum 770 that likes only Gutterman thread,a Jonome Embroidery machine that will only sew well with either Sulky,Maderia or Mettler thread. if I use any other brand it does not sew well and breaks constantly. I know this as I bought some real inexpensive thread some place on line when I first started with my Janome and was so frustrated. After realizing that it actually was the thread I tossed it out.Now I use a thread conditioner(you can get it at a Joann's or Micheals) if I am having any thread issues.It is a silicone and works pretty good.You can get it in the notions area.

On the other hand, if you are using the same needle time after time it may be that as well. sometimes a burr will form on the needle or it just gets dull after a lot of use. Some people change the needle with every new design(that would be me).I guess I would start with the needle,check the tension and maybe have your machine serviced and cleaned out to make sure it isn't a problem that way.

If it is not the machine or the needle then play with some different brands and see which one works best for you and your machine. Keep in mind that all of it does break to some extent but when it gets to be a lot then there is a problem.

I hope this has helped you out and you solve your thread problem.

pat71896  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 3:58:52 AM(UTC)

Great answers and I know each thought is on the mark.  There is not just one answer for your question.

I have found that the use of silicon, I use a spray on type, does make a difference. 

Think in terms of what happens to fabric that is folded and laying around for a long time.  The outside edges are really tired, but the inner, more protected areas, may well be just fine.

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat

nannabananaof6  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:22:07 AM(UTC)

It may not be your thread thats the problem.  I too was having a breaking problem.  Turns out it was my needle!  Who knew?  My thread was brand new.  So I asked a saleslady at the fabric store if she knew what I should do and she replied that it was my needle.  I was using the wrong needle for that thread.  I could have kissed her feet!  That took care of my breakage problem.  Good Luck!